turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which Hanks Slate?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 05, 2020, 08:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious, I'm playing around with different slates to compare to my Cody World Class, which so far is the best one I've found. It's currently back at Cody being repaired, as something came loose inside of it during our move a while back. Apparently somebody got rough with the box of custom calls I carefully packed. Anyway, I don't know if they'll get it back in time for turkey season, so I'm looking for a good slate to take its place for the moment. Sounds like Hanks has a good reputation. I see they offer a green slate in padauk, Osage, and bubinga. Is there much difference in sound between these? Any other good slate recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Charlie 51

I also have a world class Cody.. I have a Osage Hanks slate..for the price difference go with Hanks..he is a super nice builder..if interested in red slate. I just got one in from Nathan Taylor in walnut..harder than green or gray.. sounds pretty nice..also Nathan is one of nicest call makers I have dealt with..also price is great.either Hanks or Nathan's will not break the bank..the quality is there with either

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Charlie 51 on February 05, 2020, 08:14:04 PM
I also have a world class Cody.. I have a Osage Hanks slate..for the price difference go with Hanks..he is a super nice builder..if interested in red slate. I just got one in from Nathan Taylor in walnut..harder than green or gray.. sounds pretty nice..also Nathan is one of nicest call makers I have dealt with..also price is great.either Hanks or Nathan's will not break the bank..the quality is there with either
Just curious, is the sound quality of the hanks on par with the Cody?

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Charlie 51

To me it's close..but you may not think so..to me it's easy to play like the Cody.its hard to compare to another hunter. What I like you may not. But if I was in market for a slate I would definitely give Hanks slate a look..I'm sure there may be better ones out there. I just haven't got the perfect slate..I use Cody's spect 1 glass as my go to call..second go to is hallaron twisted sister glass..then I will use a slate.i just have confidence in the first two..you will not be disappointed in a Hanks.

StruttinGobbler3

I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep that in mind

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

3bailey3

Hanks makes a good call, look up Buster Halford on here he makes a great pot for a great price, go to the pot call section and read about his calls on there.

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 05, 2020, 08:58:20 PM
Hanks makes a good call, look up Buster Halford on here he makes a great pot for a great price, go to the pot call section and read about his calls on there.
Thanks, I'll check him out.

Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

turkeykiller22

Kimmy makes some great calls and is a great guy. I am a call maker myself and would recommend my calls as well. I have both red and green slate. I prefer the green slate. The red is a little bit higher pitched. If you are interested in any let me know and I can send you some sound files and pictures. Good luck in the woods this spring!

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Spitten and drummen

You want a turkey killing slate , get a red slate in persimmon from buster. There are plenty of other guys here that will vouch for that. As far as red having a higher pitch than green , that may be true but the red slate in persimmon along with a slate sound board is no where near higher pitched than any of my half dozen green slates. Rolls over nice with that nasally backend.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

3bailey3