turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which custom box?

Started by strum, February 05, 2020, 07:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

So I have been hunting turks with decent success  about 12 years now. I started with a Lynch foolproof  which I still carry with me and Ive played around with scratch boxes and pots. Last few years I have almost exclusively used mouth calls .
This year I want to try some different things . I ordered a Promos Foggy Bottom snuff tube. Gonna try some different diaphragms too but whats predominant on my mind is  buying a custom box. Just because  Ive never tried any .
Here is what im thinking.
I do not care at all about looks . Meaning I dont need bling. Just solid and lasting field grade
Above all sound (which I know is subjective)
Also Im thinking a short type box . I pack very conservatively and dont want a great big ole box to deal with .
I saved the money thing for last. I dont wanna go crazy but I know you get what you pay for.
Probably be the last call illl ever buy . wink wink
Thanks guys.

Cut N Run

Here's my $0.02...I'm not a fan of glued boxes and prefer a box made from a solid block of wood.  Not that glued boxes don't sound good, they do, I just prefer a one piece bottom.  I've killed plenty of birds with glued boxes.  I just had a glued box break about 20 years ago and it scarred me against 'em. I got a Hustlin Hen from Billy White about 8 years ago and love the way it talks.  That Hustlin' Hen's the only short box I own.  All the others are long boxes because I use them mostly for striking birds at a distance.

Good luck & have fun with whatever you choose.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Rzrbac

I prefer the sound of a henbox. If that's too big for you to pack, look at the non-handled version or Turpin style. They are made from one piece of wood and nothing is glued. To me they just sound so much better. I'm not a box call guy though I've always used mouth calls and just pulled a box out when things were really slow.

strum

In my searching i have started to really dig those hen boxes. I like the small size and they look solidly made. Wonder where I can pick one up rather quickly?

jrinny

There are many great makers out there . And I am sure that you would be happy with most of them. if you are looking for something similar to the fool proof you mentioned... then a good single sider might be an option. I have a couple of Josh Farley single siders that are great calls... and could usually get one in a decent timeframe. If you are looking for a regular short box... the list of makers is long. Find a general sound you are looking for and talk to a maker to see what wood combinations will fit. Halloran, Jeff White , Mike Crooks, SS calls, Josh Farley, TJ Johnson and many, many others would fit your search and different price points. Good luck

StruttinGobbler3

I own boxes from Albert Paul, Steve Mann, Lonnie Mabry, and a couple David Hallorans. Needless to say I like a good box. He doesn't get as much press as the other big names for his box calls, but David Halloran makes an excellent one. They're by far the easiest running box I've owned due to the heavy lid. Great realistic sound as well. I prefer the ebony over walnut combo, which is David's favorite and personal hunting call as well. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

sbbow

Jeff White makes a very nice single sided box as well as standard boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Call Al with SS custom calls, he's on here

Bowguy

I'd get an SS too. Regarding boxes though if it was only one I'd go longbox. You can do a lot more w em. SS or McKamey here

shatcher

Richard Hudson or Matt Fulkerson hen boxes are amazing.  Anything Marlin Watkins.  S&S field grade, anything over butternut, is an absolute steal.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: trb136 on February 06, 2020, 09:22:18 AM
https://www.alpha.facebook.com/1556903783/videos/10221321616340705/
Just so you know the link to your Facebook page is not working. I have clicked on ones you have put in 2 different threads and neither have worked. Here is link to his page in case anyone else is having same problem with his link. https://www.alpha.facebook.com/callm8kr/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

trb136

paboxcall

I would recommend either Mike from Spring Creek, or Tim from No Bull. I have a several of Mike's short boxes, and a long box from Tim in my collection.

Both are award-winning, amazing box call makers!

You have Tim's Facebook page above, here's Mike's contact info:

http://springcreekturkeycalls.weebly.com/

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Happy hooker

Already mentioned a Billy White hustlin hen might fit your needs perfect compact durable and sound great,,less then $100
Or a Halloran purpleheart cedar is about has foolproof has you can get and easy to order.