OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal TSS shells  (Read 1747 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Federal TSS shells
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »
Gang,

Federal #9 TSS 20 gauge shells are appearing everywhere this year and are going for moderate prices. I recently found them at Academy Sports for $29.95 for a box of 5 which qualifies for free shipping or store pick up. Federal is also offering a 10% rebate on the shells which brings the price down to $26.96 ($5.39 per shell). Several years ago when I handloaded some TSS shells, it wound up costing a little more than that per shell.

Simply stated, the use of 18 gram per cubic centimeter Tungsten shot in shotgun shells just might be the most important change to our sport in several decades. I am not an advocate of taking long shots at gobblers, but the real benefit that I like is the incredible pattern density that the TSS shot are able to create. The patterns just do not have anywhere for a turkey to hide in them like lead shot used to.

Whatever shells you choose, address your own sensibilities and know the limitations of your pattern/distance/choke/gun/gauge.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Federal TSS shells
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »
Good info Norman.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:01:09 PM »
Norm
When I started handloading TSS I was paying $60 a pound and that translated to over $6 per round. TSS is around $50 per pound now which translates to over $5 per round. Right in line with Federal. But since I’m already sitting on enough components to last my grandchildren, I guess I’ll keep loading.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
I agree it’s one of the biggest changes to our sport both good and bad in my opinion. I never knew that you had to shoot turkeys at 70-100yds(I actually know a lot of people that think this way and shoot them that far) if you shot TSS but that’s apparently what everyone thinks, I get so tired of people arguing and putting people down for shooting tss. Know your gun, know your own ethical kill range and what your limit is.    It’s the most lethal and ethical shot out there, that’s why I use it. When sometime comes out better I’ll swap to that.  It’s a major game changer for kids too.

Some of the manufactures have come down in price which is great.

The last order of TSS I got in averages out to $36/lb with shipping but could be much less with a larger order. I’m getting it for $26/lb but shipping kills me but it was here within a week. I’ve got a little less than $4/round in them

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
I had ok results with the Fedreral TSS. Terrible luck with Apex. I tried to get some info from them and they were less than helpful and were just short of calling me an idiot. Never will I buy their products. They were inconsistent and pricey. I just started reloading TSS and will test it extensively. I will load for the 20 and 28 gauge. I want to do a "grand slam' with my 28 so I will test that too. I got 2 pounds of TSS for $78 last fall and will load up some 1 5/8 20 and 28. I really want to try a 1 3/8 28 gauge load to get the fps to around 1220, which is where most of my reloads pattern out the best. I would never have started reloading if I could still get 3" Federal Heavyweight #7 for my 20. But I do love to experiment. I will post my testing results here. I hope it will be helpful, but a lot of seasons are already in full swing by the time I get decent weather to test in. Good luck, Al