turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wyoming transition periods...

Started by sixbird, January 28, 2020, 11:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Throwing this question out because I know some of you guys have hunted Wyoming or live there.
Planning on a hunt around Devils Tower area this Spring. I know the transitions here in N.J. have a major bearing on gobbling and gobbler response. Our turkeys seem to reach peak gobbling the last half of the first week and most of the second week.
Wondering if anybody could tell me when that peak is in Wyoming, generally? I know weather will have a bearing also, but excluding a storm or the like, when would I have the best chance of hitting that peak?
Thanks in advance for anything you might have...

Hobbes

I've not hunted WY, but plenty just east of there in NE and north of there in MT.  On a typical spring without any drastic weather, I think you'll hear more gobbling in late April than early May.  The first week can be really variable weather and can seem awfully early.  The last couple weeks of season can start to get warm and the gobbling due off.  More gobbling doesn't always mean more success for me.  If I had to pick one week to hunt I'd pick the first week of May.  If I had to pick two weeks, I'd pick the first two weeks of May.  If I had to pick a month, I'd probably pick May maybe include the last week of April.  I prefer late season to early season out here.  However, you will possibly hear more gobbling in April if the weather holds.  I live out here so I hunt it all, April - May,  and have killed birds from beginning to end.  I honestly don't put too much stock in trying to define transition periods.  If the birds are talking you can find a bird that's willing to die.  If the birds aren't talking a lot, I can often find one that I can make talk and kill him as well.

I know folks worry about pressured birds, but I've not found it to be a problem.  Add in the likelihood of bad weather and May just makes more sense for the traveling turkey hunter.  However, I think the BHs got hammered with snow in late May last year, so there's no guarantee either way.

sixbird

Got cha'...Thanks brutha'. That all makes sense. Thanks for your reply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Hunted Wyoming in 2018. 

We were there the 1st week of May.  Those goofy Merriam's simply would NOT shut up !!!  Now, we were hunting public land...........so most of them simply would not come, either.  But they gobbled their nutz off all day long.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Longbeard33

I have hunted NE WY plenty of times. Usually the first week in May and have never hunted more than 1.5 days for me and my buddies to kill our birds. There are three of us. Last year though we went the 24th of April and it took 3 days. The birds just don't gobble as much and we're henned up more.  Turkeys are turkeys and NE WY can have some treacherous weather during the spring season. Monsoon rains, a foot of snow or 80 degree days. It can run the gamut. Those things affect gobbling too as I am sure you know.  Just head out there and hunt. The birds gobble a ton more than our Iowa Easterns no matter which phase they are in.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.

-Albert Pike

randy6471

I've hunted a little north of that area several times and always in late April. Weather is definitely unpredictable, but birds are usually very vocal. Always a good time and it's absolutely beautiful country. With me being from back east, I always look forward to that trip.

joey46

The Devil's Tower area still on our bucket list.  Keep up the conversation.  I have the NF maps etc.  Just need to finally "pull the trigger" on the trip.

sixbird

Thanks fellas'. That's good info.
Thinking maybe 2nd week in May might work best for me given our transition here in N.J. And the probability of better weather there.
Looks like a crap shoot any way you look at it.
In any event, it'll be beautiful and it'll be an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OJR

As Lloyd Christmas said "Go man, just go". And as for weather we got 8" of snow the night before we hunted in Wyoming three years ago.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: OJR on February 20, 2020, 05:44:50 PM
As Lloyd Christmas said "Go man, just go". And as for weather we got 8" of snow the night before we hunted in Wyoming three years ago.
Nice, sure is something when you find wing strut marks in the new snow gets you as excited as a gobble. Snow hunting can't be beat.

Yoder409

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 21, 2020, 10:27:20 AM
Nice, sure is something when you find wing strut marks in the new snow gets you as excited as a gobble. Snow hunting can't be beat.

Maybe can't be beat if it's only 8"..............

Hunted the Pine Ridge in Nebraska in 3X that the 3rd week of April in 2014.  THAT could be beat...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 21, 2020, 07:16:49 PM
Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on February 21, 2020, 10:27:20 AM

Maybe can't be beat if it's only 8"..............

Hunted the Pine Ridge in Nebraska in 3X that the 3rd week of April in 2014.  THAT could be beat...........

^^ X2. The 12-15 inches that the Pine Ridge got in the last week of May last year kicked my tail.

bchilde

Me and a couple buddies are hunting with trophy ridge outfitters in Wyoming, it's right beside devils tower. We are going opening weekend I hope we don't regret going that early. Flights are booked so it is what it is I guess

strutstopper

Quote from: bchilde on February 23, 2020, 11:32:55 AM
Me and a couple buddies are hunting with trophy ridge outfitters in Wyoming, it's right beside devils tower. We are going opening weekend I hope we don't regret going that early. Flights are booked so it is what it is I guess

We'll be out there for the opener as well. I hope the birds cooperate.