turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy suggestions

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, January 27, 2020, 12:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Id post up a wanted if you haven't already in the O.G.classifieds.

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 28, 2020, 06:17:09 PM
Id post up a wanted if you haven't already in the O.G.classifieds.
I did, maybe I'll find something. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sixbird

I use DSD but I'm not convinced any expensive decoy is necessary. My experience with them has been good in that turkeys seem to be easier fooled up close and seem to stay around them longer than less realistic decoys. That said, I've hunted with the old foamies and have had great success with them. A buddy has one that's sold by Flextone that's realistic. You can get them cheap offseason. Only reason I got DSD is I had Cabelas points on my card so it was essentially free. Whatever you do decide, I'd definitely get a hen since gobbler/jakes can, at times scare gobblers off. If they've been roughed up by a gang of jakes, they're likely to shy away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: sixbird on January 28, 2020, 11:35:32 PM
I use DSD but I'm not convinced any expensive decoy is necessary. I've hunted with the old foamies and have had great success with them. A buddy has one that's sold by Flextone that's realistic. You can get them cheap offseason. Only reason I got DSD is I had Cabelas points on my card so it was essentially free. Whatever you do decide, I'd definitely get a hen since gobbler/jakes can, at times scare gobblers off. If they've been roughed up by a gang of jakes, they're likely to shy away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I typically use a hen (feeder or mating) and a jake but wonder if the new full strut jake would pull Tom's better than the 1/4 strut jake. I have 2-3 groups of usually 30 hens and around 8-10 longbeards that is hard to draw the longbeards away from the group

a_jabbo

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on January 28, 2020, 05:52:46 PM
Mine has a few holes in it from a pretty good set of spurs. Wont hold air at all.

My 1/4 Strut took a broad head (NAP Killzone 2" cut, Pass through) one time from a buddy of mine. I'm not cheap, but I didn't want to get a new one. I went to a craft store and bought a bunch of pillow stuffing and some super glue. Sealed it right up. It's taken some pellets and spurs since then, and holds its shape perfectly fine. No need for air. A possible fix for you and saves you some coin.

MK M GOBL

countryboy3006

Love my DSDs.  I have seen a totally different reaction of hens and toms since I started using them.  I use a duck decoy bag to carry mine and i only use them when i'm hunting on fields. 

Turkeytider

Another brand to consider is the Primos Gobstopper hen and jake. I have two hen decoys, one a DSD ( Jezebel ) and a Primos ( Delilah ). Last year, Delilah pulled an afternoon gobbler a good 50-60 yards across a food plot to within about 20 yards.

Crghss

I use a cheap collapsible carry-lites, I run and gun so that works best for me.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

310 gauge

Deception Decoys work for us.

Jfowler82

I been carrying the same feather flex hen around for twenty years and it will still do the job if the situation calls . However it rarely ever gets pulled out even hunting large fields and wood lots . I will say the new decoys look like the real McCoy.

hotspur

ThunderChickenHunter21

Thanks for all the responses!

Old Gobbler

Wait till you see DSD's new decoy , it hasn't been made public yet, but take it from me its amazing

Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ThunderChickenHunter21

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 31, 2020, 11:58:35 AM
Wait till you see DSD's new decoy , it hasn't been made public yet, but take it from me its amazing

Shannon
I'm not familiar? Is it a company?