OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Longbeards

Started by Ol timer, January 26, 2020, 07:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

Tested out a new box of Longbeards, I have been shooting the same shell since it arrived on the shelfs, every year I test out my gun to see if all is well with the red dot sight. Well I'm not sure what is going on with the new box. I know factory loads vary but after shooting these shells for years I don't like seeing the inconsistency in the patterns I got out of this box anyone else try any new Longbeards lately. here is just a sample of a 30 yard shot.

Aholdren

I like the looks of the second pic for sure!  What choke tube you using and is this free hand or bench?

Ol timer

Sumtoy .675, benched rest no wind cooled barrel, it went down hill after 30

Aholdren

Yea down hill for sure.  I'm a federal guy and from the looks of those targets I'll not be trying long beards!

mtns2hunt

I have been shooting LB since they came out also. Still do in my 12g but use  TSS in my 20g. I have heard that if the filler in the shells is broken it can affect the pattern. If the box was handled roughly during shipping that could occur. It could also be a bad lot. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer as they may swap them out for you. JMO
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Big Pine

I've been a fan of the longbeards since they came out but I recently had a box of 3" #4s that were pretty inconsistent. I've always had great luck prior to this though

Old Timer

Maybe I`ll stay with my Federals! I know they shoot high out of my 835.

Eddie12

This is really interesting but I've had nothing but good results with Winchester LB #5's and 6's once my shotgun was sighted in of course. The old Supreme turkey magnums loads were a different story for me but they still killed turkeys. I would like to get my hands on some of the discontinued Extended range shells in 12 gauge 3" #5's or 6's. They seem to be really hard to find now kinda like the old Nitro shells. Just my opinion but I believe a lot of folks overthink patterning with a numbers game. I do know that a good choke goes along way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stoeger M3000

rakkin6

I also have had nothing but good results using Longbeard XR. Just hope they didn't change anything or quality didn't go down, I just stocked up on some 3" #6.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Ol timer

Quote from: rakkin6 on January 27, 2020, 06:09:02 AM
I also have had nothing but good results using Longbeard XR. Just hope they didn't change anything or quality didn't go down, I just stocked up on some 3" #6.

This is my thoughts also did they change something in the loading process because I haven't had this kind of pattern in the past years. I just ordered another box to compare what I shot recently.

bbcoach

Most of us on here went through the Hevi-13 #7 debacle a few years ago when Hevi changed their wads.  Pattern density went way down.  We found out real quick, if you find a shell that does what you want then buy a lifetime supply right then.  Manufactures get their components from many suppliers and or change their own processes so plan accordingly.

Ol timer

:hb2:
Quote from: bbcoach on January 27, 2020, 07:06:32 AM
Most of us on here went through the Hevi-13 #7 debacle a few years ago when Hevi changed their wads.  Pattern density went way down.  We found out real quick, if you find a shell that does what you want then buy a lifetime supply right then.  Manufactures get their components from many suppliers and or change their own processes so plan accordingly.

I am one of the Hevi Shot crossovers to the Longbeards, I noticed right away that this last box I tested had me scratching my head. I want to make perfectly clear this post is not about long range shooting on turkey it's about the patterns inconsistency. Just as the above post reads about Hevi Shot you know when something is not right. I wanted to give a heads up to folks that just buy a box to stock up and think all is well with the shells because they shot well in the past. We owe it to ourselves to be confident in our hunting equipment.

MAK

:z-guntootsmiley:  I had same issue but did a deep clean on barrel and choke and my patterns returned