OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sleeping with the enemy

Started by Timmer, January 26, 2020, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

We had bald eagles move into our field woods line 5 years ago.  The eagles were kind of neat at first but we soon realized that much of our other wildlife, such as pheasants, sand hill cranes, and turkeys, were weary and they immediately disappeared.  Slowly but surely they've been finding a balance and the other critters have been coming back, for at least the turkeys and sand hills.  We still don't see any poults of these other birds like we used to, but the adults are hanging around.  Tonight we had another first.  The turkeys roosted right up alongside the eagles nest.  The eagles are on limbs above their nest.  There are turkeys underneath and on both sides, with another dozen turkeys just further to one side.  I was taking the pictures with my cell phone through binoculars so I could only capture a small area.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

mtns2hunt

That is really interesting. I have never seen turkeys in such close proximity to an eagle. In fact where I live I have seen hawks dive bomb my decoys. Be great breakfast fare for the eagle.

With that many turkeys around after five years the poults must be around.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Rzrbac

That's a cool pic, never seen that before. I would have never thought the two would roost in the same tree.

Eagles are hard on game. I have an eagle nest close to my farm and see them quite often. A farmer used to have several fish farms nearby. He lost a lot of product to eagles.

I had much rather have turkeys around than eagles.

3bailey3

never thought of this but a buddy that has land that joins mine said the Eagles are wiping out the turkeys!

Timmer

I think they are opportunistic and take what's relatively easy.  A full sized turkey is more work than smaller game.  Our turkey population is pretty stable. 

As noted in my original post, we don't see hens with poults like we used to.  They are either staying away or doing a great job of sticking to the woods or other cover.

Timmer

Swather

White Oak Pastures down in S.W. Ga. raises various critters in a grass-fed, free range type environment.  It has been feeding the eagles for years, and pursued compensation from the federal govt.  After a long, hard fight, it finally prevailed on appeal.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/news-to-me/georgia-rancher-wins-compensation-bald-eagle-attacks/mMotH8bCF2Xptra86hJ9CP/

http://blog.whiteoakpastures.com/blog/a-big-win-for-a-small-farm

Swather

Eagles are protected under a separate, federal act distinct from the Endangered Species Act.  The protection afforded is similar to the ESA, so one must refrain from even trying to encourage the bastages to move somewhere else and build a nest because the feds would allege it falls under "molest or disturb" an eagle.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/history/protections.html

Swather

It would have been interesting to be out there and see what happened as the sun came up.  I wonder if there was a turkey breakfast.

Tail Feathers

Wow, that is interesting!
I would never have thought they would roost so close to one another.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ArkyRidgeRunna

I have personally seen a eagle swoop down and grab a hen in some timber in the mountains. Was pretty wild.

Timmer

Update - they have been roosting in the same field for 4 nights straight.  They have roosted on all sides and above the eagle nest.  The bald eagle has been on a limb as close as under 20 feet by my estimate.  It's amazing!  Why the eagles haven't snatched one up (assuming they haven't), is beyond me.
Timmer

eggshell

I used to run a fish hatchery and eagles considered it a free smorgasbord. They will reek havoc on a fish farm, but they are very much opportunist and as long as easier eating is available they'll leave the turkeys alone, is my guess. Now if one gets injured and is hobbling around then it's a free meal. In our area we have a heron rookery and eagles nest very close to it, but the heron nest increase every year and you see eagles sitting in the trees right with them.

It wasn't too many years ago eagles and turkeys were a rarity around here, but now are fairly common. This is a result of environmental laws and conservation practices. Next time you here someone griping about government regulation and state wildlife agencies, remember that both the eagle and the turkey was virtually gone from much of our country 50-60 years ago, now both are plentiful. Environmental laws and dedicated conservationist are to thank for this. I personally have worked to restore endangered species and it was part of my job I was honored to do. I can't tell you how many times in my career a was called a damn lazy government worker.....well some damn lazy Government worker helped put both in those trees. Sorry I got off track.

Timmer

Quote from: eggshell on January 30, 2020, 04:59:16 PM
It wasn't too many years ago eagles and turkeys were a rarity around here, but now are fairly common. This is a result of environmental laws and conservation practices. Next time you here someone griping about government regulation and state wildlife agencies, remember that both the eagle and the turkey was virtually gone from much of our country 50-60 years ago, now both are plentiful. Environmental laws and dedicated conservationist are to thank for this. I personally have worked to restore endangered species and it was part of my job I was honored to do. I can't tell you how many times in my career a was called a damn lazy government worker.....well some damn lazy Government worker helped put both in those trees. Sorry I got off track.

I'll let you get off track.  There are great success stories for turkeys, bald eagles, whooping cranes, trumpeter swans, and other things we see and hear around here. 
Timmer