OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weird Trumpet Question

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 18, 2020, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious if anyone else experiences this problem. I've noticed first thing in the morning, usually when it's colder, that my trumpets are more difficult to play properly. Almost as though they require more effort to draw air through. This has happened with trumpets from multiple call makers. Any ideas?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

troutfisher13111

Yes, but it's me not my trumpets. My lips seem week early in the morning

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Yes those humid , foggy and cold morning affect your calls for sure , try keeping them warm with some hand warmers , that does help ....

davisd9

Probably blood flow from cold so your lips are not as pliable, lack of better word, and therefore harder to seal.  Basically your lips are hard and do not form around the mouthpiece as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chris O

I have some of the same problems. There was a post about it awhile back if you can find it. I have gotten better than I used to be in the morning. I may have to adjust my lip stop different than in the afternoon. Everything you do affects the sound and playability. You can try cupping your hands over the call more or less and see if that helps. Try different lip pressure, looser relaxed lips is easier for me to play softer. Or try a conscious effort to follow through with your draw of air on the very last of your note if that makes any sense. In the off season and during nicer weather I go out early and practice and record myself while enjoying my morning coffee so I have gotten better. Also if you have a little drive before you get to your hunting spot practice while you are heading there to get your lips woke up. I love playing these things so practice is something I really enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

I have same problem but usually it is from excessive dry mouth. I carry a peppermint or cough drop

paboxcall

Quote from: davisd9 on January 18, 2020, 01:03:31 PM
Probably blood flow from cold so your lips are not as pliable, lack of better word, and therefore harder to seal.  Basically your lips are hard and do not form around the mouthpiece as well.

Quote from: wchadw on January 18, 2020, 02:05:21 PM
I have same problem but usually it is from excessive dry mouth. I carry a peppermint or cough drop

This. If you want to be proficient, practice on the cold mornings before the season. Like Chris mentions, for some it make require a degree of call manipulation that you adjust later in the day.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot