Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do fall turkeys smell and taste bad compared to spring?

Started by Magdump, January 16, 2020, 06:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Magdump, don't listen to the jealouse haters,

you shot a genuine mossy head, a bonafide trophy and should be proud of it.
the only down side as you already found out is they smell a little worse than regular easterns do.

Spitten and drummen

I read this to my wife and we are sitting here crying we laughed so hard. You have gotta be kidding. Nice.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

You didn't buy chance save the wing bones did you?  I've been looking for some hen wing bones.

kytrkyhntr

Sir do you have a minute to discuss ProStaff opportunities?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

wvmntnhick

Well, ummm, congratulations man. Good luck with all future endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Yur problem is that you didn't cook it rite.  Ya gotta cook them circlin' fall hens like ya do them carps.  Ya cook 'em slow over a fire on a board fir at least 36 hours. After that, ya throws away that tarkey and ya eats the board! Deeeelishus!  Don't ya know nuthin?! How long ya bin at this here tarkey huntin' anywho?!

trkehunr93

silent tom

We were hunting in Alabama one time with some guys we traded hunts with.
They didn't turkey hunt but came down to camp one night to hang out. 

The two guys went for a ride in their ranger that evening and came back telling us about all the turkeys that were roosted over some railroad tracks. 
Me and my buddy put a plan together and were pretty excited about the next morning. 

We slipped in well before daylight and used binoculars to find the birds in the trees. About the first good crack of light and we figured out we were sitting under about 20 buzzards.

Greg Massey

Quote from: silent tom on January 17, 2020, 04:10:15 PM
We were hunting in Alabama one time with some guys we traded hunts with.
They didn't turkey hunt but came down to camp one night to hang out. 

The two guys went for a ride in their ranger that evening and came back telling us about all the turkeys that were roosted over some railroad tracks. 
Me and my buddy put a plan together and were pretty excited about the next morning. 

We slipped in well before daylight and used binoculars to find the birds in the trees. About the first good crack of light and we figured out we were sitting under about 20 buzzards.
:TooFunny:

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: RossAnderson on January 16, 2020, 07:24:32 PM
Yeah I don't know if I read this right or not or if I'm just takin this the wrong way but sounds like to me you shot yourself a turkey vulture.

I was thinking the very same thing! When he typed circling and coming down to eat the dead cow I thought... I've never seen a turkey fly in circles like basically a turkey vulture would.

If this isn't a joke I'm gonna have to say the person shot a turkey vulture. Like 100%

Beards and Hooks

Wow thats great magpump, did you atleast throw a Yelp at her? And if so how did she respond?

aclawrence

I was thinking those turkeys must be eating the maggots and then ahh....good one!

TauntoHawk

I think the best recipe for vulture is sliced thin eaten raw with a side of bleach to kill the bacteria

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

squidd

captpete

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 17, 2020, 08:34:42 AM
Yur problem is that you didn't cook it rite.  Ya gotta cook them circlin' fall hens like ya do them carps.  Ya cook 'em slow over a fire on a board fir at least 36 hours. After that, ya throws away that tarkey and ya eats the board! Deeeelishus!  Don't ya know nuthin?! How long ya bin at this here tarkey huntin' anywho?!

GobbleNut has it right except he missed a couple steps. First you soak it in milk for 24 hours(it helps to remove the gamy taste), then boil the chit out of it for 3-4 hours(removes the rest of the gamy taste), then proceed like GobbleNut described.