Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do fall turkeys smell and taste bad compared to spring?

Started by Magdump, January 16, 2020, 06:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdump

So let me state right up front that i am still kinda new to turkey hunting so please bear with me as i am still learning a lot very fast.

So last fall i hunted at a friends farm having never hunted fall birds before.  I tried to find a flock to charge into and then call back in but no luck finding any birds like that. 

But it worked out anyway because Steve (my farmer friend) had a cow die in a field and he called me and let me know that the turkeys were working it over pretty hard.   I thought that was weird as everything i had read and researched said turkeys ate bugs and seeds and whatnot, not animals.  What do i know, i am a beginner still.

Anyhow, i set up next morning before sunrise in the edge of the woods about 30 yards from the dead milker.   Sunrise comes and sure enough, here come the turkeys.  Circling lower and lower.  I was so excited but made myself wait until one was on the ground so i would get a good clean shot.

Well, finally a big hen (no beard or spurs that i could see) landed and started eating the cow.  I made a great shot, it tipped over and the rest scattered.

When i examined it, it seemed about what i would imagine a hen should be in size but holy cow did it smell bad!  I think it was one of those melanistic turkeys because she was a bit darker than the hen pictures i have seen on the internet. 

Anyway, checked it in, tagged it and took it home and the smell when i dressed it out almost killed me!  Worse, it smelled awful in the oven and tasted even worse!

Got pretty sick after eating what little i could choke down too.

Is this a normal thing for fall turkeys or was my hen diseased or something?

Any thoughts very much appreciated as if this is normal, i am never hunting fall turkeys again!

Hobbes

I'm a little slow on some days so this took me a second or two.  I'm not sure I can stomach supper tonight after thinking about it.  (My barfing emoji doesn't work)

fallhnt

You shot a spring turkey in fall. That's why it tastes like chit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

RossAnderson

Yeah I don't know if I read this right or not or if I'm just takin this the wrong way but sounds like to me you shot yourself a turkey vulture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

KentuckyHeadhunter

And then I shot a coyote that looked like a chihuahua but tasted like bald eagle. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Harty

Quote from: RossAnderson on January 16, 2020, 07:24:32 PM
Yeah I don't know if I read this right or not or if I'm just takin this the wrong way but sounds like to me you shot yourself a turkey vulture.

Yup, my thoughts also before I got down to you're thread Ross. Got any pics Mag?

HookedonHooks

There's no way this isn't a troll thread...

If not, we're laughing at you, not with you.

KentuckyHeadhunter

When I moved into my new neighborhood my neighbor told me she saw 20 turkeys at the end of the street.  I drove up there and it was about 9 turkey vultures feasting on a squished possum. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Kylongspur88

I needed a good laugh today. Just wrap em in bacon and roll on.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: HookedonHooks on January 16, 2020, 07:36:09 PM
There's no way this isn't a troll thread...

If not, we're laughing at you, not with you.
I'm still laughing. Troll thread or not.. :TooFunny:

randy6471

Eddie12

Ha Ha Bacon and butter all the way.

Stoeger M3000

bbcoach

This is why most states don't allow you to kill hens in the spring.  If you were able to harvest a hen in the spring, with that smell and taste, they would lose tons of revenue during the fall season.  My recommendation is only shoot bearded birds!

tal

If you lift a skunk up by the tail he can't spray you either.

Greg Massey

Of all my years on Old Gobbler this smells so bad ... :newmascot:  :TooFunny:  For one time , i just don't know what to say ... But i will give you the 2020 award from Old Gobbler ... :emoticon-cartoon-012: