turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mountain Merriam's for Isaac!

Started by hobbes, May 07, 2011, 11:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Isaac and I hunted here in the mountains today.  This was our second time out here in the mountains since we went to IL during the 2nd and 3rd weekend and it snowed and rained the 4th weekend.  Our first time out on the first day ended with Isaac missing a gobbling and strutting tom and plenty of disappointment.  Today, however, was a different story.

We hit the same area with hope of hearing a bird on the roost, but we heard nothing partly due to the wind.  We moved up the same ridge we started on back on the 1st day on the ridge I killed a bird on during the last weekend last year.  We had made it up to the same area as last year's bird when we finally got a response to the north at the bottom in the canyon we were above.  We tried one set up on top but the bird had no interest in coming up and we were sure it was across the creek at the bottom.  The bird moved down the canyon some so we tried to get ahead of it.  When we decided we couldn't make it ahead of him we dropped down the steep ridge sliding as much as walking. 

The tom must have decided he wanted our company because he was gobbling a lot as we descended.  He hadn't gobbled in a minute or two once we got across the creek so we quickly set up and sent out some yelps.  He responded immediately but sounded like he had moved farther.  We jumped up and headed up to gain some elevation and move a little closer.  Before cresting a rise I went ahead and checked him and he was closer than expected, so we put our butts in the dirt right there with a brush pile behind us and slightly in the shade.  It was a terrible set up with the sun in our face and a blowdown 10 yards ahead and the crest. 

The bird responded several more times and I had no choice but to keep up with him by getting him to gobble.  He started drumming at about 50 yards and then gobbled again at about 30 yards just over the crest.  I expected the tom to appear to the left where Isaac was pointed, but he showed up directly ahead as soon as Isaac took his safety off.  I spotted him first and could see the lower part of his body while looking beneath the deadfall.  His head became visible to me as he moved forward and right.  He moved behind a thick portion of the deadfall and Isaac pivoted right.  I said "shoot him when he comes out".  I could see him first and he was really looking hard for the hen.  I was still looking through some brush, but at 15 yards it wasn't going to be a problem.  If he had even swayed back the way he had came I was going to roll him.  He went into strut and I knew he wasn't spooked.  As soon as he came out of strut he moved just far enough forward and down hill for Isaac to see his head beneath the  deadfall and through the tangle of limbs.  Isaac let the 870 clear a path before I could say a word and he had his 3rd bird of the season at 7:15.

Its too bad I didn't have the time or money to go to Florida early this year because this bird makes 3 of the subspecies in one season for Isaac.  He killed an Eastern in IL, a Rio in eastern CO, and a Merriam's in the mountains of CO.

I take more photos than necessary, so I'm posting quite a few of the better ones.

Daybreak

Right where he went down.  He ended up under the log behind Isaac and messed up some of his feathers, but not too bad.

The ridge behind Isaac is what we came down.  We first heard him in the bottom below us from the top of that ridge.

I had him move uphill for some photos. The lighting was crazy with the sun shining on us so brightly. Note the small round cactus just behind the fan on Isaac's left side.

Isaac found the cactus

Isaac packing the bird back down to our pile of gear where he shot the bird.  The ridge where we started shows up well here too.

The bird on the ground while Isaac was picking up his gear.  I thought the feathers had fanned out cool here in the wind.

Walking the trail in the bottom out to the truck.  We were approximately 3/4 of a mile back.

I love feeling a birds head swing back and forth on the pack out, but I think I like watching it over his shoulder just as much.

We tried to find me a bird and did quite a bit of hiking, but the wind and sun was killing us.

A big tree we had to get a photo of before the long hike back to the truck.

TRKYHTR

WTG Congrats to Isaac on his mountain Merriam. That boys a killer.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey slayer

Thats awesome!! That looks like one happy boy!!

WiLL B

Congrats to Him and I enjoyed the pictures and story!

Hognutz

Way to go, Isaac, and Dad. You had yourself a great year, kiddo..Well done..Nice pictures, Hobbes. You are a picture taking maniac. Great job..Mike  :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

LX_Trkyhntr

Congrats on another great gobbler Isaac!!!  Way to go Hobbes!! :you_rock:  Great pics as always!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

catdaddy

a-j calls

What a great hunt, beautiful country...

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

spaightlabs

Right on Isaac and Shane.  you fellers get some miles on the boots and the truck...

I haven't been out in CO yet - can't decide whether to head up above FoCo after a Merri or out on the river east of town for a Rio...still got one more KS tag to fill too. 

With the new Eurasian dove season we've got 12 month hunting now - dogs love it - wives not as much...

wvboy

Beautiful pictures.. congrats to you and Issac .. memories that will last a lifetime..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Cove

What a rush it must be to have a hard gobbling Merriam actin' a fool with the back drop of those mountains! Congrats in order for you both!! :groupwave:

barry

Congrats to Isaac and loved the pics