OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet vs Wingbone

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, January 12, 2020, 02:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

Which call do you think would be easier to use a Trumpet or wing bone. My son can't use a mouth call and he was wonting the easiest one to run so I figured I would ask ever ones opinion on this.

KYHeadhunter02

They are very similar, but a wing bone is slightly easier IMO. Buy one from a good call maker. You can even take the internals out of an ink pen and have him practice on it. It will take a lot of back preasure, but it will teach him the fundamentals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

In my opinion its a wingbone. Remember when running either you dont kiss the call you draw air. A little air goes a long way. Good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobbler428

X2  Many good ones available from the guys here on OG 

davisd9

There are very little difference. Biggest thing will be the more symmetricalness, if that is a word, of the trumpet since it is made by hand. If you can play a trumpet then you can play a wingbone and vice versa.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Agree, not that much difference in either one , for a kid the Trumpet would be more durable for the stand point it can take more abuse.. Wingbone is more fragile....Few call builders on the wingbones are Fred Cox Jr. , Kevin Dorsey and Kevin Rouse .. you can see their work on Facebook....

wchadw

I would also say wingbone or cane yelper. EZ makes a easy to play wingbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: wchadw on January 12, 2020, 10:15:20 AM
I would also say wingbone or cane yelper. EZ makes a easy to play wingbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:icon_thumright: :agreed:

I'd suggest a cane yelper. Easy way to learn the mechanics of drawing air. As mentioned earlier, when you can play one you can play the other. But just stick to one when first learning.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

I'm still learning but I do find the wingbone much easier to get consistent sound out of.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

kyturkeyhunter4

I really appericate all the info from every one

KentuckyHeadhunter

My personal favorite is a trumpet with a hen wingbone mouthpiece.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

DBuck90

You can make a quality wingbone style call out of a push pop straw
Your kid gets a treat and a turkey call all in one I have carried one with me for years
Just a dab of hot glue inside a punched out primer hole on a old shotgun shell but
Before you pick a shell play around different shells/caliber give a different sound my actually wingbone
Call is inside a 3-1/2 Winchester trimmed down a little but my push Pop straw is in a 16 gauge
Just a cheap little trick that kills birds