turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS- Federal vs Apex

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 11, 2020, 09:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just curious, is one of these two brands of factory loaded TSS significantly better than the other? Wondering if Apex is worth the extra money. Thanks.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

From what little i have shot them , i think the Apex are better ..

fallhnt

Federal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

deltaeta

My 20 gauge liked the Federal better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boykin Hollow

My 20 gauge loves my hand loads but in my Tristar 410 the Apex is the better choice.

twyatt

Apex has more shot in their shells than Federal.  Example 20ga Apex has 1 5/8oz of shot vs Federal's 1.5oz, which is why they cost more.
I've gotten better, more consistent patterns with Apex, but Federal's are no slouch and also pattern great out of my 12's and 20's.
I'm currently sticking with Federal's because they're sold locally and easy to get, and cheaper.
Take money out of the equation and I'd be shooting Apex.

ShootingABN!

This will be my first year with TSS. So I'm trying to figure it out as well. Regardless I'll have to order it. None of the stores really carry it here on the coast in MS.

So I've used Nitro custom shells for years. I'm thinking about their TSS 410.

I'm really happy with Nitro HeavyShot in my 12 and 20....

twyatt

Around here Federal is easy to get and plenty sufficient in my guns.  Apex and Nitro are better, more pellets and seemingly better regulated for consistency, but more expensive and have to be ordered, so add shipping too.
Check out the pattern pictures shown on this forum to get a good idea of what certain gun/choke/shell combos look like

Wigsplitter

Federal— you will kill a gobbler dead as he needs to be!

TauntoHawk

My gun patterns better with federal surprisingly

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mtns2hunt

Have not shot Apex but Federal patterns well in my TC 20g. Kills are solid. Will be using hand loads this year. My question is why is everyone so concerned about price. Other than a test shot I only shoot 2 or three shots per season unless I am traveling out of state. So that's one box of 5 shells for 38 bucks.

Main reason I am hand loading is because larger shot sizes in TSS appear to be currently unavailable.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

deadbuck

Don't just compare those 2, now Remington and Hevi have a TSS load coming out in 2020. Saw them in the newest Natchez Shooters Supply catalog.

Big Pine

Hard to go wrong with either

CALLM2U

Quote from: deadbuck on January 13, 2020, 09:39:52 PM
Don't just compare those 2, now Remington and Hevi have a TSS load coming out in 2020. Saw them in the newest Natchez Shooters Supply catalog.

I noticed that as well.  Remington specs seem to mirror Federal from a 20g perspective.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/shotshell/turkey-loads/premier-tss

Big Jeremy

I haven't shot the Apex, but my hand loads for my 12 are basically the same as what Apex runs...they are phenomenal. I have shot the Federal in my 12, and the patterns are almost as good, so if I were buying TSS shells, I'd probably buy the Federal. Federal in my 20 have been great, as well, but again I haven't run any Apex down the barrel.