OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby Vs Winchester

Started by NCL, January 11, 2020, 09:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

For the past year or so I have read the virtues of a 20 gauge with TSS shot that have been discussed.  Convinced of all the advantages that have been discussed I finally decided to take a leap and invest in a 20 gauge.   O definitely want to go with a semi auto so have narrowed it down to either the Weatherby SA 459 or the Winchester Super X3 Long Beard. The up side to the Weatherby is it is cheaper by $450, which does make it attractive. Those of you that have experience with either model are there any problems? What are the good  and bad points of each model? Do they compare equally? Thanks for your thoughts. 

FL-Boss

I have had good luck with my SA guns.. Take a look at this new Tristar - basically the same thing as the SA-459... but it comes in bottomland with cerakote finish. It looks sweet.. I would buy one now, but my SA-459 has been dipped in bottomland. As with all these Turkish made shotguns, you will likely want to get a trigger job.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/tristar-24152-viper-g2-brnz-bottomlands-20-24-ct-3/

guesswho

No experience with the Winchester, but have been using a SA459 for a couple of years now.   I have zero complaints.   I have heard a lot of people say that their SA threw the ejection bolt on cycling, and several have lost the bolt.  Weatherby was replacing these at no charge for a while, but I heard they have started charging for them now.   I have run a lot of rounds through mine with no issue.   One guy who shoots left handed, shot one and it threw the ejection bolt.   He lost a tooth in the process. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DrDirtNap

All I've used the last three seasons has been my SA459 20 ga.   I have no complaints.  Sweet gun.  My gun will throw the bolt handle on super hot handloads using a certain type of powder.  I stopped even trying to use that powder and I've had no issues whatsoever.   Great gun. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCL

Guys, thank you this info is helping in the decision