OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Calling In" a turkey

Started by Turkeyman, January 08, 2020, 04:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

What do you consider "Calling In" a turkey? With today's super chokes using TSS loads it appears to vary. If I "call in" a turkey to 70 yards or so and whack him with a TSS load did I really call him in or just get him to the point where he was curious? Looking for your thoughts.

Happy

For me it's to within 40 yards. Without decoys or visual aids.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

Forty yards are less no decoys. I hunt woods Turkeys so a 70 yard shot would be rare even if I was inclined to try it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Hobbes

I have birds come from some fairly long distances some days.  If A bird starts at a mile and makes it to 70 responding to my calls.........yeah, I called him in.  He hung up out of range if that's as close as he gets, but I definitely called him in.  It's all semantics.

The one mile is an example but isn't completely unreasonable here, but it would be unusual for me to sit down that far from a bird.   I have however called some in from a long way.

Greg Massey

Under 40 yards regardless , if you want to use decoys or whatever , that fine with me , because that's your business ... hunt the way you want ... safety first ....

Bowguy

I'd say close enough to shoot and I'd not consider anything over 40, prob less that but Hobbes makes a good point

bbcoach

Quote from: Hobbes on January 08, 2020, 06:33:12 PM
I have birds come from some fairly long distances some days.  If A bird starts at a mile and makes it to 70 responding to my calls.........yeah, I called him in.  He hung up out of range if that's as close as he gets, but I definitely called him in.  It's all semantics.

The one mile is an example but isn't completely unreasonable here, but it would be unusual for me to sit down that far from a bird.   I have however called some in from a long way.
Finishing is the key to calling in a bird.  If you call him, from a mile away (unrealistic) and he comes to 80 yards and hangs up out of range of your TSS, he was only curious, doesn't see that hen and leaves.  The key IMO is finish him into your lap, THAT'S CALLING.  If you can't do that, then brush up on your calling and try again tomorrow.

Crghss

Even thought I hunt fields and open spaces I don't think I've ever had a turkey hang up where I would have had an open shot at the turkey(if I used TSS).

I try to get them within the 30-40 yds range since thats the best pattern for my gun.

Don't hunt TSS so 50+ shots are not an option for me. Don't think I ever will.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Crghss

Let me expand on your question. Last year I called in a hen and two Tom's followed her.

Would you have harvested one of those Tom's?
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Hobbes

In MT, CO, NE, SD, etc., calling a bird from a mile absolutely is not unrealistic.  It is unlikely that I want to risk the things that can go wrong from that distance, so I typically move as close as I can checking him on my way. As far as just curious, a bird that comes in from any distance gobbling and strutting is a whole lot more than curious.  However, in the case of hanging at 70, something about my set up concerns him.  He likely knows that he should see a hen.  I rarely carry decoys, so shouldn't set up where he can clearly be see from 70.

I also never said that I was shooting birds at 70 with an 80 yard TSS load.  I know that a bird that hangs up at 70 isn't in range.  I shoot handloaded TSS but I'm shooting a load that won't do 70 yards, won't cut a head off at 40, and won't pulverize my shoulder.  It will, however, kill one stone dead at 40. I don't want/need one that will do 70 yards.

My semantics comment still holds.  I don't really care what someone else calls it.  I've hunted them long enough and killed enough that I'm not so insecure as to be too worried about if someone's description could possibly imply that they are more successful than me. 

squidd

I think human-turkeys less than 40-yds on public land counts as well!!!

Spitten and drummen

If a bird responds to my calling and commits then I fooled him whatever the range. That being said I do not stretch out shots. I set up most of the time where that bird will be in range the moment I see him. I dont use decoys , I use terrain to my advantage.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Will

40 yards or less with no decoys. I think you've really accomplished it when he's strutting in front of you with no decoy all because of your calling and hunting skills.

bbcoach

Quote from: Hobbes on January 08, 2020, 07:45:53 PM
In MT, CO, NE, SD, etc., calling a bird from a mile absolutely is not unrealistic.  It is unlikely that I want to risk the things that can go wrong from that distance, so I typically move as close as I can checking him on my way. As far as just curious, a bird that comes in from any distance gobbling and strutting is a whole lot more than curious.  However, in the case of hanging at 70, something about my set up concerns him.  He likely knows that he should see a hen.  I rarely carry decoys, so shouldn't set up where he can clearly be see from 70.

I also never said that I was shooting birds at 70 with an 80 yard TSS load.  I know that a bird that hangs up at 70 isn't in range.  I shoot handloaded TSS but I'm shooting a load that won't do 70 yards, won't cut a head off at 40, and won't pulverize my shoulder.  It will, however, kill one stone dead at 40. I don't want/need one that will do 70 yards.

My semantics comment still holds.  I don't really care what someone else calls it.  I've hunted them long enough and killed enough that I'm not so insecure as to be too worried about if someone's description could possibly imply that they are more successful than me.
Sorry Hobbes, I forgot about the wide open midwestern states when I said unrealistic.  I only wanted to state that finishing a bird to 20-25 yards is a testament to our calling skills.  We shouldn't rely on our shells and/or choke to get the job done. 

mtns2hunt

Ideally 40 yards is a good shooting range for me. However, I use decoys and enjoy getting the bird right up in their face. That may be 20 yards or less. That is calling to me. I also beleave that when I bring in a bird at any range I have called him in whether he hangs up or not as he would not be hung up out there if I had not been calling.

I have been shooting birds long enough not to feel desperate and shoot at 70 or 80 yards. I like them much closer I enjoy the hunt and watching turkeys. Still I now shoot TSS as on occasion I have wounded a bird or two with lead or copper loads. TSS is good insurance against wounded and lost birds. 
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.