Main Menu

Use of Bike's or E-Bikes on Public land

Started by ddturkeyhunter, January 01, 2020, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

eBike....65 lbs
Walmart junk....45lbs
Mud,and deep snow forget any bike.
I use a bike set up to hunt. With a 20 min walk..... By the time you,pull the bike out of the truck,hook up the light,mount your gun,travel in hilly ground,you could have been set up. At this point you still have to get your gun off the bike and get to your hunting spot. I do it because I'm also and avid mtn. biker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bbcoach

Gentlemen, as I get older (62), I've come to realize that comfort and safety is Paramount when hunting.  When I was in my 20's and 30's I would shimmy up a pine tree 25 to 30 feet and hang on the side of tree in an old Baker treestand and not think a thing about it.  Now safety and comfort play a major roll in my hunting.  It's box blinds and turkey seats for me.  When you are comfortable, hunting is so MUCH more enjoyable.  If a bike allows you to cover more ground, gets you closer to your quarry, it's legal and makes the hunt more enjoyable then GO FOR IT.  For those guys that are Debbie Downers, they will understand when they reach their 60's.     

Greg Massey

Quote from: bbcoach on January 02, 2020, 01:57:00 PM
Gentlemen, as I get older (62), I've come to realize that comfort and safety is Paramount when hunting.  When I was in my 20's and 30's I would shimmy up a pine tree 25 to 30 feet and hang on the side of tree in an old Baker treestand and not think a bit about it.  Now safety and comfort play a major roll in my hunting.  It's box blinds and turkey seats for me.  When you are comfortable hunting is so MUCH more enjoyable.  If a bike allows you to cover more ground, gets you closer to your quarry, it's legal and makes the hunt more enjoyable then GO FOR IT.  For those guys that are Debbie Downers, they will understand when they reach their 60's.     
AMEN .. Well said ....

wchadw

i agree with bbcoach.  I'm getting old.  even though i hunt on mostly private land, i have an eBike that i use.  I always seem to have limited time, so getting in an out faster allows me to have more time to hunt. comfort and ease of access become more important.  i usually ride to a couple hundred yards of where i am going to hunt and the load up and walk rest of way and setup or if i cant strike up something i can ride and call and cover more ground

mtns2hunt

I have been using a bike for decades. Never thought much about it until reading this post. I park at the trail head: hop on my bike and travel for miles. I don't necessarily need a bike but it is fun and great to get you way back in and away from other hunters. An E-bike? I am away's from that yet. Too much weight and cost. The only issue I had one time was running though some green briers. Cost me two flat tires and a very long hike out with the bike on my back. Always carry a flat kit and know how to use it. lol
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 02, 2020, 09:08:58 PM
I have been using a bike for decades. Never thought much about it until reading this post. I park at the trail head: hop on my bike and travel for miles. I don't necessarily need a bike but it is fun and great to get you way back in and away from other hunters. An E-bike? I am away's from that yet. Too much weight and cost. The only issue I had one time was running though some green briers. Cost me two flat tires and a very long hike out with the bike on my back. Always carry a flat kit and know how to use it. lol

I know about flat tires, I also ended up with two flat tires once, from sand bur's in Oklahoma. Ended up pumping tires up twice to get back to  camp.

paboxcall

Quote from: mtns2hunt on January 02, 2020, 09:08:58 PM

And a chain repair tool with a spare master link too.   :icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sasha and Abby

I have been hunting off a bike for 15 years....  truly a game changer.

1  you can get further back QUICKLY and with no lights to spook game...

2  you can cover 10+ times the amount of ground vs walking...

3  you can get back to your truck in a flash if you only have a little while to hunt meaning you have more time to hunt vs walking back...

4  it is QUIET vs a noisy vehicle and you can hear birds as you travel...

5  great exercise

Sasha and Abby

Quote from: fallhnt on January 02, 2020, 01:42:37 PM
eBike....65 lbs
Walmart junk....45lbs
Mud,and deep snow forget any bike.
I use a bike set up to hunt. With a 20 min walk..... By the time you,pull the bike out of the truck,hook up the light,mount your gun,travel in hilly ground,you could have been set up. At this point you still have to get your gun off the bike and get to your hunting spot. I do it because I'm also and avid mtn. biker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sorry
just not true...  it takes me 30 seconds to pull the bike off and start peddeling...

grayfox

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 01, 2020, 06:41:55 PM
At our age , if it's a E bike you need for turkey hunting and getting around to still enjoy turkey hunting GO FOR IT.. one day these young guns will feel the pain of old age ... i want you to enjoy turkey hunting anyway you can ... i have never used one , but they sure do look like a easier way of getting around...so if you want one buy it , you only live once .... you know a lot of us can hunting on days others have to work .. it's called retirement...lol....

X2  Well said!

WV Ridge Reaper

You guys that do have e bikes,what brand models ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on January 04, 2020, 04:52:39 PM

I got a M2S electric all terrain was quite a bit less than the "hunting" electric bikes

Bill

After much research a year or so ago I ended up with a Sur-Ron: https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

It's an impressive machine, but really an electric trail bike and not an electric assist bicycle, although you can buy a "pedal kit" which is more to appease the law in certain cases than to actually pedal with.  Because I use it strictly on my own property, that's not a concern to me. 

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Bill on January 05, 2020, 12:23:27 AM

After much research a year or so ago I ended up with a Sur-Ron: https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

It's an impressive machine, but really an electric trail bike and not an electric assist bicycle, although you can buy a "pedal kit" which is more to appease the law in certain cases than to actually pedal with.  Because I use it strictly on my own property, that's not a concern to me.
That is a nice bike, but for my self to start I will be looking for something I do need to paddle some. I am looking for something to use for hunting but will be useig the rest of the year riding around with wife.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Bill on January 05, 2020, 12:23:27 AM

Wow an impressive bike for sure but what a cost! 3,600!!! I could buy am awesome rifle, pay for another grand slam of Turkey's or a fantastic deer hunt. Six hundred is my top price and the bike takes me where ever I need to go. I would suggest anyone looking for a good bike go to a local bike shop and check out the models they have ask questions and use the shop for maintenance and the occasional tune up. Of course I'm poor and the only way I have been able to hunt so many places is by being frugal.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.