turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Use of Bike's or E-Bikes on Public land

Started by ddturkeyhunter, January 01, 2020, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

It begining to look like I might get to start doing a little more turkey hunting in near future. I have hunt mostly public, WMA and National Forest in a few surrounding states around MN. But hope to be starting in florida and work my way north in coming years. I need a new bike and was thinking about getting a fat tire bike. Being I am 64 now someone suggested I should get a fat tire (electric) E-bike. My younger brother said he seen people useing them elk hunting. But said he knew there was restriction on use on motor size after 750watt's or something. Figured I might get some information from bike user's from different states hear. Whats every one's opinion on bikes, and E-bikes?

fallhnt

65 lbs. of machine. No thanks. I pedal my meBike. 55 yrs old.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bowguy

My opinion is I don't use em. In places where they're able to be used it seems everyone is using one now. Perhaps your area isn't like that but I figure why invest just to be like/ hunt with the rest. Better ways to distance yourself.
In non heavily untilized areas I'd bet it'd be decent. I can't give you particulars because of this reason

Greg Massey

At our age , if it's a E bike you need for turkey hunting and getting around to still enjoy turkey hunting GO FOR IT.. one day these young guns will feel the pain of old age ... i want you to enjoy turkey hunting anyway you can ... i have never used one , but they sure do look like a easier way of getting around...so if you want one buy it , you only live once .... you know a lot of us can hunting on days others have to work .. it's called retirement...lol....

bobk

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 01, 2020, 06:41:55 PM
At our age , if it's a E bike you need for turkey hunting and getting around to still enjoy turkey hunting GO FOR IT.. one day these young guns will feel the pain of old age ... i want you to enjoy turkey hunting anyway you can ... i have never used one , but they sure do look like a easier way of getting around...so if you want one buy it , you only live once .... you know a lot of us can hunting on days others have to work .. it's called retirement...lol....

Well said!!!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 01, 2020, 06:41:55 PM

I agree with Greg, if it helps you to get out there then go for it. Take it from somebody that lost hunting for 17 years because of a car accident, you want to get out there any way you can and as often as you can while you still can. I wish I could have those 17 years back, lost a lot of education and a lot of great times.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Southerngobbler

Where I hunt in Florida there are different rules as to where you can and can't use them. State land, private land, management areas. And the rules are difficult to fallow. Some places just say no, others you can't ride them off numbered or well established roads, some places restrict the size of the motor. Some places matter whether or not you can also peddle the bike.
I would think travailing with them would be difficult at best. However they might be useful for the areas close to home that you routinely hunt and know what the restrictions are.
I use a regular pedal bike for deer hunting and this year finally traded in my fat tire bike for a normal tire mountain type bike cuz its so much easier to load in the truck. Picking up and loading that fat tire bike was getting old.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Southerngobbler on January 01, 2020, 07:24:43 PM
Where I hunt in Florida there are different rules as to where you can and can't use them. State land, private land, management areas. And the rules are difficult to fallow. Some places just say no, others you can't ride them off numbered or well established roads, some places restrict the size of the motor. Some places matter whether or not you can also peddle the bike.
I would think travailing with them would be difficult at best. However they might be useful for the areas close to home that you routinely hunt and know what the restrictions are.
I use a regular pedal bike for deer hunting and this year finally traded in my fat tire bike for a normal tire mountain type bike cuz its so much easier to load in the truck. Picking up and loading that fat tire bike was getting old.
It was hunting down in florida that made me think I need a new fat tire bike over my regular bike. Even though I have never used a bike down there its hard walking on that sugar sand, I didn't feel my skinny bike tire would work well if I had it with. And figured if I drivedown there will bring my bike along, can't use if you dont have. And figure if I get used to using a bike may need it in other states.also.I might have to call a lot of the different Game and Fishes in different states. Most state game regulation don't explane there rules very well. Its a long winter and a lot of time to decide what may work best for me. Just looking for them answers from different states, thanks for your opinions and answers so far.

Old Gobbler

I've used a bike for Florida turkey hunting for over 30 years

3 things .....

1 get a gun rack for the handle bars ..pad it with foam

2 get the biggest and fattest tires you can possibly squeeze in your frame,  down hill tires etc...

3 get a basket for the rear to haul your gear

Hogs deer and the like can be hauled out by putting the back on the lower pedal and legs  tied up  to the top ..and walking it out

I watched a 250 pound hog bend a huffy mountain bike one time hauling it out ....

Electric I know nothing about , I'm tempted ...but it's a matter of time before the fwc cracks down on a good thing
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Southerngobbler

Here's how it's worded in my WMA and every WMA is different.
1) Pedal assisted (pedelec) bicycles whose electric motor kicks in while pedaling are allowed.
2) Bicycles whose electric motor kicks-in and propels the bicycle without pedaling are prohibited.
That just happens to be the WMA that I hunt, everyone is completely different as is state land, national Forrest etc.
Also most places even if they let you use an ebike wont allow you to use it anywhere you couldn't just take your truck.
And as far as using any type of pedal bike on sugar sand-your gonna be disappointed there, more than likely your gonna be walking along side the bike-pushing it.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Southerngobbler on January 01, 2020, 08:39:40 PM
Here's how it's worded in my WMA and every WMA is different.
1) Pedal assisted (pedelec) bicycles whose electric motor kicks in while pedaling are allowed.
2) Bicycles whose electric motor kicks-in and propels the bicycle without pedaling are prohibited.
That just happens to be the WMA that I hunt, everyone is completely different as is state land, national Forrest etc.
Also most places even if they let you use an ebike wont allow you to use it anywhere you couldn't just take your truck.
And as far as using any type of pedal bike on sugar sand-your gonna be disappointed there, more than likely your gonna be walking along side the bike-pushing it.
Good information, thanks moving more to just fat tire.

Southerngobbler

I guess I left out the most importation thing but it probably goes without saying. I can't think of any reason whatsoever to use a bike of any sort if you can use a vehicle. Maybe there are some reasons I haven't thought of-exercise maybe. Everyone I know that uses a bike including myself uses it cuz motor vehicles are not allowed in the area. There very useful under those conditions (provided there are established trails to ride your bike) but otherwise just use your truck. I have been on a few roads where both vehicles and bikes were allowed and enjoyed being able to listen for gobbles but after the first couple  trucks blast by you it really takes the fun out of it.

camotoe

Was hunting yesterday and had a guy come driving out of the area I was hunting . Quiet , fat tire elec bike . Gun in scabbard over his shoulder , area is bow only but connects to another area that allows gun . Sure looked easy. I'm in Florida also 61 still liking my walking , waiting on  the  fwc hammer to drop after they become popular .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs

There are some manufacturers who's e-bikes have a removable battery, thus making it a regular bike...which would make it legal in many places.  I know of several guys (not myself) that use the battery in restricted areas until they get back to the parking lot, then pull it off to avoid any flack. 

Now this isn't a suggestion, but more of an example of what to look for when purchasing.  There are some manufacturers who's battery is built in...that wouldn't be a good purchase if you had to leave your $1,500 bike at home because of the restriction.
This year is going to suck!!!

Mossberg90MN

I too think I'm going to be adding a bike to my arsenal this season.

I'm also interested in a fat tire bike, mainly to go through muddy areas.

I may end up going with just a cheap Walmart mountain bike and decking it out the way Old Gobbler suggests. It will be nice for deer too.

Only issue with that electric bike is it's probably pretty darn heavy. And I want a bike I can just chuck in the back of my truck with ease. Also it may be a little too loud??

A bike will definitely help I think. I've had to walk a good 45 min to a roosted bird where as a bike would have got me there in about 8-10 min.