OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Venison and charcoal.............

Started by Yoder409, December 28, 2019, 12:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

I was out of venison.

Took the coal burner out this morning to replenish my supply.  Sitting on my favorite point, on my favorite ridgetop...........hens and poults roosted and talking to my left.  Gobblers gobbling, occasionally, to my right.

The warm, morning air hung briefly with white smoke and the smell of sulphur.  Backstraps and canning meat aplenty !!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

Congrats! As a child one of my earliest lessons in the use of "sentence enhancers" came from a gentleman who had his pan ignite but failed to fire the main charge.  The doe standing in front of him seemed to be as impressed as I was. Looks like good eating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Quote from: Happy on December 28, 2019, 12:40:43 PM
As a child one of my earliest lessons in the use of "sentence enhancers" came from a gentleman who had his pan ignite but failed to fire the main charge. 

A properly tuned flintlock will run like a Swiss watch (in dry weather) and have nearly instantaneous lock time.

The OTHER kind of flintlock could just as easily end up bent around a tree or chucked into the creek...............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

kyturkeyhunter4

Congratulations I love using the ole smoke pole myself

Greg Massey

Nice deer , yes the old smoke poles , just make it special hunt...

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, nice deer. I have two percussion caps and an inline and would very much like to get a flintlock in the future.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tail Feathers

You had an excellent morning in the woods.  Congrats! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bowguy

In a day n age everyone wants things easier I myself def enjoy doing things the hard way. Way to go. Something special bout a flintlock deer.

crow

Nice shot, right on the money.

backstraps, bacon grease and a cast iron skillet, the three amigos.

Upfold99

Is that a hawkins build kit? I just got one. Havent started it yet.

PA-strutter

Teds Custom Calls on FB

Yoder409

Quote from: Upfold99 on December 28, 2019, 09:41:53 PM
Is that a hawkins build kit? I just got one. Havent started it yet.

No, sir.

It is a factory built CVA Mountain Rifle from the mid or late 80's.
PA elitist since 1979

marshboy

Good job!
I killed a nice doe with my muzzleloader a few days ago, albeit mine is an inline.
I just finished canning...ended with 17 quarts.  Good stuff.
Greg

Happy

I got a 54 cal Thompson center New Englander percussion. Been 20 years since I have hunted it. I need to bring it back out. Unfortunately deer season is over for me. We have plenty of meat so time to hang it up for the year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club