OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cheapest ammo to get comfortable with firearm  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Skibbs

Cheapest ammo to get comfortable with firearm
« on: December 20, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »
Bought my first shotgun - Mossberg 500 12ga with 20" barrel to use for turkeys. I am new to hunting and shotguns, this is my first one. I already know what choke and ammo I plan to start patterning with when the time comes but I want to become more familiar with the shotgun first and put some time in just getting comfortable firing it --- what ammo would you recommend that would get this job done? Thanks for your help.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Cheapest ammo to get comfortable with firearm
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
Cheap dove ammo will accomplish that. Also repetition is key when training with any firearm. Go dove hunting, rabbit hunting, or shoot skeet with it some. Use it like any other non turkey dedicated gun and you will get used to the gun. Also the dove loads will help break the barrel and trigger in and if you clean it well will help it pattern better in the future.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 07:06:02 PM »
Yep dove loads. Walmart usually has them dirt cheap after hunting season.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
Cheap dove ammo will accomplish that. Also repetition is key when training with any firearm. Go dove hunting, rabbit hunting, or shoot skeet with it some. Use it like any other non turkey dedicated gun and you will get used to the gun. Also the dove loads will help break the barrel and trigger in and if you clean it well will help it pattern better in the future.

Yup, this or target loads sometimes are cheaper. Both are easy on the shoulder as well.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
Dove loads and get comfortable shooting with your off hand too. If a bird circles you no problem just switch hands and kill him.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
7 8 9 shot will do. Get comfortable with it then youll be set. 
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline DrJaJa

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Like everyone has said - grab a few boxes of lead 2-3/4" target loads in #8 shot.  Shoot 50-100 rounds with a buddy at some clays' and you'll  feel much more comfortable handling your gun.

Offline Struthunter

• Osceola Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
Any Bird Shot.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:23:34 AM »
As others have stated, cheap target loads will work great to start off with.  Anywhere from 7/8 oz loads to 1 1/8 oz loads...  I generally shoot with 1 oz loads, as they are easy to find, and soft on the shoulder.  #7 1/2's or #8's.

And when patterning my gun to see where it shoots on paper, I generally start off with the cheap target loads...  Once I have everything pretty much figured out (as in hold points, and POI, POA, etc.), I fire off a round (or two) of the good stuff, just to make sure it is doing what I think it is.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
Like everyone has said - grab a few boxes of lead 2-3/4" target loads in #8 shot.  Shoot 50-100 rounds with a buddy at some clays' and you'll  feel much more comfortable handling your gun.

Yup! This is it right here... want to get comfortable with a shotgun? Go and regularly shoot Trap, it will eventually feel like a third limb.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
I would just buy some cheap target load ammo. Normally about $4-$5 a box.

Also... the 20ā€ barrel... is it a smooth bore for slugs? Or does it have a screw in choke?

Iā€™m just asking because my 500 came with 2 barrels. A 28ā€ with a choke, and then a smooth 20ā€.

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 05:06:31 PM »
Yep dove loads. Walmart usually has them dirt cheap after hunting season.

Ya beat me to it.  I was also thinking dove loads.  Shop around and you should be able to get a crazy good deal.  I found some Hornady turkey loads at a crazy good price once.  Shot them through my 870 and found out why they were so cheap!