OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wisconsin draw results are available

Started by Wisgobbler, December 17, 2019, 07:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisgobbler

The 2020 spring draw results are out on the Go Wild website. I drew season C my son got season B. He's able to hunt the youth season (the weekend before the opener) for two more years. 
Hope everyone got a good draw and has a safe, enjoyable hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddturkeyhunter

I have only hunting WI once before, but got my permit to try again this year for zone one time frame C. I see there are extra tags still avaiable for  zone one and three. Can I buy and hunt in zone three if I buy one of them extra tags? Or do i have to stay in the zone I applyed for first. JUst be nice to hunt in different locations, just a idea.

Wisgobbler

When they go on sale you can buy any left over tags for any zone or season you like. Not sure off the top of my head what the sale dates are but if you check the Wisconsin don't site the info is there.

Wisgobbler

https://dnr.wi.gov/permits/springturkey.html

Looks like seasons A and B are sold out for all zones.

ddturkeyhunter

I will only be hunting time frame C and there are 5,500 permits left for C and D has 11,00 and D has a lot of permits left in a lot of Zones so I might have to spend some extra time in WI this spring.

SoDak_JD

Grew up in Wisconsin and started turkey hunting there.  Giving turkey hunting a try back there for the first time in 10 years.  I've got Zone 2, Period E.  I might try and pick up an extra for D  in zone 2 when they go on sale.

Now, hoping I get drawn near home in South Dakota too!

Mossberg90MN

Got my Season C Zone 4 notice today in the mail. I'm gonna try and scoop up enough bonus harvest authorizations to cover me for as much of the season as possible. I'd like to hunt it all except for Season A. Which I will be in my home state of Mn. They only let you buy a tag for 1 week season.

oakraidia

I'm going to try my luck in Wisconsin this year too. I'll be hunting the northern part of zone 2 and season F works best for me, but I might be able to make season E work instead. Does anyone with experience up there have a recommendation between those 2 seasons?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Spurs

Had some of the best hunts of my life in Zone 1 season C-D.  If work allows, I'll be there again this year.
This year is going to suck!!!

Hobbes

Do Wisconsin tags typically sell out, or are there leftovers in some zones/ seasons up to end of the season?

It's all hypothetical, but I've not hunted Easterns since 2015.  Minnesota is the closest Eastern hunt that I can do, but would be tempted to jump over to WI if MN went well. 

ejhandler

Quote from: oakraidia on February 05, 2020, 09:34:24 AM
I'm going to try my luck in Wisconsin this year too. I'll be hunting the northern part of zone 2 and season F works best for me, but I might be able to make season E work instead. Does anyone with experience up there have a recommendation between those 2 seasons?

The later the season the less hunters you have to deal with, but usually dealing with hotter temps and more bugs.  Later springs in the northern half of the state have been the trend the last few years so there is usually still good gobbling activity going.  What county/counties are you looking at hunting?  Public or private?  I may be able to offer a little more insight depending where.  Lots of ag land in my area of zone 2, it seems most guys prefer to set up blinds and decoys on field edges and deer hunt them.

oakraidia

Quote from: ejhandler on February 05, 2020, 11:28:07 AM

The later the season the less hunters you have to deal with, but usually dealing with hotter temps and more bugs.  Later springs in the northern half of the state have been the trend the last few years so there is usually still good gobbling activity going.  What county/counties are you looking at hunting?  Public or private?  I may be able to offer a little more insight depending where.  Lots of ag land in my area of zone 2, it seems most guys prefer to set up blinds and decoys on field edges and deer hunt them.
I'll be staying in Algoma and hunting within 45 of that area, likely Wisconsin THAP sites. I've got a lead on some private close to Algoma, but I'm not sure if I can get that yet. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

ejhandler

Quote from: Hobbes on February 05, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
Do Wisconsin tags typically sell out, or are there leftovers in some zones/ seasons up to end of the season?

It's all hypothetical, but I've not hunted Easterns since 2015.  Minnesota is the closest Eastern hunt that I can do, but would be tempted to jump over to WI if MN went well.

Left over tags go on sale in March on a zone by zone basis (https://dnr.wi.gov/permits/springturkey.html).  If you're jumping over from MN you will likely want to hunt in 1 or 4.  I think zone 2 is the only zone that completely sells out, you should be able to get permits on short notice for zones 1 and 4.  I usually hunt zones 2 and 3 so hopefully someone from the western half of the state can confirm.

ejhandler

Quote from: oakraidia on February 05, 2020, 11:43:54 AM
Quote from: ejhandler on February 05, 2020, 11:28:07 AM

I'll be staying in Algoma and hunting within 45 of that area, likely Wisconsin THAP sites. I've got a lead on some private close to Algoma, but I'm not sure if I can get that yet. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

I waterfowl hunt by Kewaunee and Algoma but don't do much for spring turkeys.  Having said that I have some friends that turkey hunt that area and there is definitely not a shortage of birds.  Almost every farmer I know around that area will let you on and tell you to kill them all.  My opinion/experience- good and extensive public turkey land can be a little scarce in that area compared to further south and west but that's not saying it can't be done on a small block of public woods.  If you want a couple farms to check out, PM me.

Hobbes

Quote from: ejhandler on February 05, 2020, 11:53:56 AM
Quote from: Hobbes on February 05, 2020, 11:21:51 AM

Left over tags go on sale in March on a zone by zone basis (https://dnr.wi.gov/permits/springturkey.html).  If you're jumping over from MN you will likely want to hunt in 1 or 4.  I think zone 2 is the only zone that completely sells out, you should be able to get permits on short notice for zones 1 and 4.  I usually hunt zones 2 and 3 so hopefully someone from the western half of the state can confirm.

Thanks for the info.  It's a pretty unlikely that I'll even make it to MN, so the jump from there to WI is even more unlikely.