OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NWTF Survey

Started by ChiefBubba, December 15, 2019, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefBubba

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here. There is a love hate for the NWTF but was just seeing what you guys thought about it? I myself thought it was pretty useless and was left with did PETA write it? Bubba

fallhnt

I for NWTF

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

I dont love them or hate them. But I am not  a fan of any organization that has its upper echelon making a pretty penny while the low fellows on the totem pole are donating their time for free. Dont get me wrong I live wild turkeys and want to see a healthy, sustainable population. But I can do more with my time around my house and the areas I hunt as opposed to giving other people my money and time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

I got the message I would be getting the survey but never did. I love what they stand for but they seem to be disconnected from the common man anymore and only seem to want to serve those with money where when Rob Keck was in office it seemed much better. Their magazines have always sucked which is why I hated seeing Turkey and Turkey Hunter get phased out, it was the best one out there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

I will always support the NWTF , because they support me as a hunter ... i don't want to lose anything to these Liberals ... I don't look at it as a love hate ....

Turkeytider

When I got back into turkey hunting a few years back, I joined. Just like when I was a member of DU for many years when I was duck hunting. Can`t say that there might not be better ways than NWTF, but I`ve always tried to give something back to what I`ve hunted.

BigSlam51

It was definitely an odd survey and not something I expected. Too me it seemed like PETA wrote it and I was not impressed at all. Almost like they tried to make me feel guilty for hunting and killing animals.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I'm a NWTF guy. They're not perfect. I don't have any idea what survey you mean?

DrDirtNap

I'm a NWTF member.  Not sure what the survey is you're talking about.  I'm concerned that the N "WTF" seems to be more concerned with their Save the Habitat Save the Hunt Initiative and their Palmetto shooting complex than they are about declining turkey populations.  I would really like to see more resources dedicated to understanding our declining turkey populations before they disappear like our quail have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: DrDirtNap on December 15, 2019, 06:53:01 PM
I'm a NWTF member.  Not sure what the survey is you're talking about.  I'm concerned that the N "WTF" seems to be more concerned with their Save the Habitat Save the Hunt Initiative and their Palmetto shooting complex than they are about declining turkey populations.  I would really like to see more resources dedicated to understanding our declining turkey populations before they disappear like our quail have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My feelings are very similar to yours on this.  The NWTF largely accomplished their mission of restoring the wild turkey (actually helping to get that done is a better way to say it) and they turned to other things.  Seems the turkey is in trouble in a lot of places and I don't see them jumping back into their primary mission with both feet and lots of funding for research.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

eggshell

In the 70s, 80s and early 90s I was a strong member, then things seem to start to go off the rails. I think it's like a lot of organizations and even businesses. They are originally formed by hard working people who have a principled mission and purpose. Those founders have identified what they want to accomplish and the path to get their. Their success is usually the result of a concentrated focus and adherence to a set of principles and goals. They are passionate about crossing the finish line. Eventually they age out or burn out and the reigns are handed over to people who never shed the sweat, blood and tears and look at it as a job and position. They operate in a world that still identifies with the original mission, but measures success differently. They worry more about maintaining the economic standing ( sustaining their jobs ) and political acceptance. Sure they still are doing good work, but their time and money is disproportionately spent. Fund raising become principle instead of funding work with what you have. Look at the NWTF, very few people can identify who founded it or the early stars of the organization, but they all know the flashy names of who built it into a "big top show". Having worked for a state wildlife agency I saw this unfold over the years. In one instance I saw biologist ask for a large sum of money to purchase 600 acres from a paper company,  in an area without much public land to protect habitat. Instead the NWTF took there money to an area with a lot of political influence and paid for abandoned strip mines. In the meantime, the other land was purchased and clear cut, it still hasn't recovered to be turkey habitat. The funny thing was every year the state big shots held a big state NWTF hunt in the coal mine area with all the stars attending.....wonder how they got all their land sold? That was the end of my membership. The truth is the states done the hard work and sure the NWTF helped, but I believe it would have still been done without them. Just my opinion.

silvestris

The change from "Turkey Call" to the current girly magazine was a strong hint.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silvestris on December 16, 2019, 01:33:07 PM
The change from "Turkey Call" to the current girly magazine was a strong hint.
Turkey Call was not that great either to be honest.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

saltysenior

tore my card up in the Edgefield office when it was 2 yrs. old......to this day they pat themselfs on the back when things are good but do little to inform you why things are going south...the population decline the past 15 yrs. is a good example....

Kylongspur88

Meh... I keep a membership but I'm not involved in meetings or banquets anymore.