turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

River Otters

Started by KYHeadhunter02, December 14, 2019, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

Does anyone have any experience with them? We have some otters swimming around our 3  acre pond. I've seen 3 so far. They are pretty neat to watch and my daughter thought they were cool. I'm not sure if I should let them be or try to run them out. I've always kinda wanted an otter hide too though. Any input?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

Here's one...

grayfox

The only thing I know is they will definitely eat the fish,

Chris O

Most guys in my area don't like them in their ponds they can clean them out. I would get rid of them. If you are a trapper set on the cross over on the dam of the pond. Set heavy to catch them all at once they are pretty easy to catch in pairs usually a male and female running together. You probably have some young ones also. I don't know what state you are in and what your trapping regulations are so double check them.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Chris O on December 14, 2019, 04:58:50 PM
Most guys in my area don't like them in their ponds they can clean them out. I would get rid of them. If you are a trapper set on the cross over on the dam of the pond. Set heavy to catch them all at once they are pretty easy to catch in pairs usually a male and female running together. You probably have some young ones also. I don't know what state you are in and what your trapping regulations are so double check them.
I was told they are notorious for eating all the catfish, just wanted to comfirm that they are destructive.. I was thinking about just shooting them. I really don't have any trapping experience. They were all 3 less than 30 yards. A 22 mag should get it done or a shotgun with maybe 6 shot?

HookedonHooks

Otters are WAY cool. One of the most fun animals to just watch, and fun to try and trap. Their pelts typically sell north of $100 for adults and several years ago were around $200 for a nice jumbo.

They can absolutely decimate a good farm pond's fishery real quick, especially crappies. They're good if you have a stunted fishery to wipe out the population quick though.

They have some of the softest, and most neat fur you'll ever touch if you can get one. Check up on your local laws, but we typically caught them in conibears or footholds near their slides and latrines. I'm sure you could shoot them as well as long as you have a furbearers/trapping permit.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on December 14, 2019, 05:18:12 PM
A 22 mag should get it done or a shotgun with maybe 6 shot?
22 Mag for Muskrats, otter, and beaver is what we've always used no problem.

Greg Massey

We try our best to keep them out of the pond in our area... they will dig in the pond banks and eat all your fish..

doublespurs21

well, if they eat all your fish,, than they will move on than?/

Greg Massey

We had them get in one of our catfish ponds and eat about 2000 dollars worth of fish , so no i don't think after they eat all the fish they will move on especially if you have more than one fish pond ...

HookedonHooks

Quote from: doublespurs21 on December 14, 2019, 07:39:32 PM
well, if they eat all your fish,, than they will move on than?/
Yes sir. My father is a damage biologist for the state of Missouri and I grew up trapping nuisance animals with him.

Otters will DECIMATE farm pond fisheries then move on to the neighbors. They are easy to find because otters leave big latrines that'll be loaded with poop piles filled with fish scales. Small farm ponds a family group can really clean out or do a LOT of damage in just several weeks. We have seen them destroy a 6 acre "lake" fishery on a farm in one year when left alone to do the damage because the landowner thought they were cute, that is until they didn't catch anymore fish.

bear hunter

they will dry clean your pond kill them as soon as possible.

Chris O

Quote from: HookedonHooks on December 14, 2019, 05:28:01 PM
22 mag will work great, sounds fun wish I lived closer  :fud:

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Chris O on December 15, 2019, 08:59:53 AM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on December 14, 2019, 05:28:01 PM
22 mag will work great, sounds fun wish I lived closer  :fud:
Lol. If you were, I'd be happy to let you fire some rounds at them.

Thanks for the input. I checked the pond today and didn't see them. I think they are going back and forth to the creek across the road. I'll be keeping an eye out and waiting for em. Told my buddy I would make him some otter fur underwear for Christmas.

Chris O

I hope you get them. It's too bad they are that hard on fish because they are a really neat animal. I have heard that they can cover some ground and have up to a 7 day route before they may show back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk