turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WV Wild Boar

Started by Deputy 14, November 28, 2019, 06:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

Prob my favorite all time hunt. I spend a lot of time chasing these boar every year in WV. Between the unforgiving terrain and the smarts they have its one of the most challenging hunts out state offers. For those of you that don't know, our boar are actually pretty pure compared to European blood and are listed as big game animals here. They're a far cry different than those feral pigs that have taken over the south. This one is my best to date on weight and tusks, dressed he went 266 so I'd guess live weight around 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

very nice congrats! do you eat it? if so how?

Mathews.1

guesswho

Cool, congrats.  What county?  I used to hunt a little bit in Boone county as kid. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Deputy 14

Quote from: 3bailey3 on November 28, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
very nice congrats! do you eat it? if so how?
Basically like a domestic hog. Chops, sausage, roast, also cure the belly into bacon and cure a couple hams.

Deputy 14

Quote from: guesswho on November 28, 2019, 06:36:27 PM
Cool, congrats.  What county?  I used to hunt a little bit in Boone county as kid.

Yep, in Boone. Spruce Laurel drainage.

Chuck1443

Dandy hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sixes

Congrats on the hog, if he dressed 266, then he was way over 300 live.

Glad you like to eat them, I usually just shoot them and leave them. I know a lot of folks think that is wrong, but where I hunt them, they are nothing but a nuisance

silvestris

Kill them all, feral or not.  A destructive non-native animal.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

guesswho

Quote from: Deputy 14 on November 28, 2019, 07:00:28 PM

I know where that's at.  My family is scattered from Madison to Bald Knob.  We used to hunt them around Jasper Workmans branch whenever we went back to visit.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Deputy 14

Quote from: guesswho on November 28, 2019, 07:53:42 PM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on November 28, 2019, 07:00:28 PM

I know where that's at.  My family is scattered from Madison to Bald Knob.  We used to hunt them around Jasper Workmans branch whenever we went back to visit.
Yep. I live about 10 miles south of Bald Knob. Killed my first hog in Jasper Workman.

guesswho

I used to have a lot of family that lived on James Creek.  I still have one cousin that lives there.   That's some pretty country up that way, but it had changed a lot the last time I was there.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

crow

Nice one, good shooting

PA-strutter

Congrats on the harvest. Check it for rattle snakes before putting it in the truck(joking). I'm heading to WV this spring for my first turkey hunt there.
Teds Custom Calls on FB

Greg Massey

Congrats, nice hog for sure ... B B Q time ....yummy