OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coopers Rock State Forest in West Virginia

Started by PA-strutter, November 21, 2019, 10:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA-strutter

I was wondering if anyone here hunts the forest or in the general area around it. I'll be passing through the northern part of West Virginia this spring and would love to try hunting in the area. If anyone could provide any info on Coopers like bird population in the area or maybe a general place to start(I'm not looking to spot burn) I'd greatly appreciate it.

Teds Custom Calls on FB

Happy

Drive by it all the time but have never hunted it. Sure there are at least a few birds there. Bring some good boots and dont skip leg day. It is fairly rough terrain. Also keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. Have heard there are a few of those around there as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PA-strutter

Thank you very much for the reply. I know the area is vast and I've heard the stories of how bad the snakes are. I'm gonna keep looking in the northern part of WV for better options.
Teds Custom Calls on FB

Happy

Yeah, rumor has it that Steve Irwin went there and filmed playing with some rattlesnakes. Not sure if its true or not and didn't care enough to find out. But that was a rumor.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PA-strutter

Quote from: Happy on November 22, 2019, 09:09:15 PM
Yeah, rumor has it that Steve Irwin went there and filmed playing with some rattlesnakes. Not sure if its true or not and didn't care enough to find out. But that was a rumor.

Not that they don't have their place in the ecosystem and make sitting on the ground in spring more interesting, I'm completely over them. Last season I took a buddy of mine and his 12 year old son to a ridge I've been hunting for years, there's snakes that call it home but I haven't had too much issue with them there. I was already had The Fiddler down in PA so why not try to get the kid one. That second Saturday mid morning we were up against a deadfall, I had one come from the side of me right over my lap. Had my arm up, gun on the knee, and it came right over me.Right under my arm and I didn't want to move my head to look down to see incase it caught the movement. Can you say new underwear. That was the end of that stand.
Teds Custom Calls on FB

SOCOM304

I live about 8 miles from CR and have hunted it all my life. Matter of fact, my grandparents ran the concession stand for years. I have spent my share of time there. I can definitely vouch for an abundance of snakes, but thankfully have steered clear of them! People used to bring both live and dead snakes to the stand. I can vividly remember seeing and hearing rattle snakes in burlap sacks as a kid. Don't care to see any again! There are roughly 13,000 acres that make up CR. I would focus on the Raven Rock area personally. It's steep, but one can typically find birds on that hillside in the spring. Also, focus efforts on the south side(which RR is on), as the state has been timbering towards the north, which parallels I-68. It's worth checking out for sure.