Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Selling/trading calls.... OPINIONS NEEDED!

Started by chufagold, August 12, 2019, 09:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chufagold

Instead of being torn on which single call to buy from a maker. I may buy 5 different wood/surface combos, keep the 2 I like the best and SELL THE OTHER THREE AT WHAT I PAID FOR THEM.Is this a bad practice and if so why?

If your a call maker what are your feelings towards someone that sells a call they bought from you?

If your a buyer do you think its ethical to sell a call you just waited 6 months for and you know the call maker may see it for sale?

What some call makers dont get is I may buy 20 calls a year but only end up keeping maybe 3. It's a hobby for me to get on list, buy calls, try them out amd only keep a few favorites. I enjoy it and so do alot of other people. Example.. I have a buddy now that asked me to sell a call for him on here because he needs money to pay bills but hes scared the maker may see it, Identify him and not like it

Spitten and drummen

I sell calls. I dont get them with intentions of selling them whatsoever. That being said , i buy and sell a whole lot of calls. I have also learned not all calls are created equal. I am very picky so if I dont like a call or have extras I will trade or sell them. If I am asked by a maker why I sold or am selling one of his calls , I will tell them the truth. There are alot of good calls out there and alot of great. I keep the ones I think are great. Just because I like one does not mean someone else will and vice versa. All that being said , I wait for a call and I dont really love it , I will most likely get rid of it. I dont care who likes it. I paid for it so its mine to do what I want with. If a callmaker is offended by that , maybe he should pick me a great one out lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

My opinion and my opinion only, I think it's disrespectful to sell a call you asked a callmaker to make. If I contact someone to make me a call and they take their time to make it for me then I feel obligated to keep it. I certainly have no intent to profit off of something they have made for me. I have gave away a few calls to people I figure won't be able to get one themselves. Having said that I haven't bought many custom calls, I'm just now getting into trumpets. If I'm gonna carry and hunt a custom call, I prefer to have talked to the maker and have a connection.

This is my opinion on the matter, I suspect many won't agree but I'm not trying to convince them just expressing my opinion.

Yoteduster

The way I see they're your calls you own them and you can do what ever you want with them and it's really nobody's business

chufagold

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 12, 2019, 09:39:31 PM
I sell calls. I dont get them with intentions of selling them whatsoever. That being said , i buy and sell a whole lot of calls. I have also learned not all calls are created equal. I am very picky so if I dont like a call or have extras I will trade or sell them. If I am asked by a maker why I sold or am selling one of his calls , I will tell them the truth. There are alot of good calls out there and alot of great. I keep the ones I think are great. Just because I like one does not mean someone else will and vice versa. All that being said , I wait for a call and I dont really love it , I will most likely get rid of it. I dont care who likes it. I paid for it so its mine to do what I want with. If a callmaker is offended by that , maybe he should pick me a great one out lol.
same here kinda and I just feel like its something that needs to be talked about. Someone scared to sell a call to not offend a maker is sad but I'm sure it happens alot

Sir-diealot

I think that makers have thicker skin than most people give them credit for. I think it is pretty much expected now a days to see people "Flip" an item.

Me? I have a very hard time getting rid of things, I am still kicking myself in the butt for selling 3 Donovan McNabb Rookie cards 8 years ago. I gave away 2 strikers this Spring to somebody, one he picked it up and he just starred at it for a while then told me it was just like one his father started him out on when he was a kid and I could see it meant something to him so when he went to scout I stuffed it in the bottom of his hip sack. Another to same person for helping me with directions on what I was doing with my turkey feathers to prepare them for Borax. I have a call that because of hand problems I can do nothing with it at all, I have a friend that makes it sound good so this CHRISTmas I am going to donate it to a group that auctions off things to help kids that may not have a lot of presents, last year it was for a little girl that lost her father. That kind of stuff makes me enjoy giving it away, though it still drives me nuts. I have two calls I got in a sale here that I had zero interest in when I got them but I wanted the third call in the deal so I am going to give them to a friend of mines kids, but it will drive me nuts to let them go even if they are not wood calls.

So to quote Yoteduster "The way I see they're your calls you own them and you can do what ever you want with them and it's really nobody's business"

But it is very very rare for me to get rid of anything.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

The transaction is just business, but the turkey call itself is a very personal thing. It either works for me or suits my calling style, or not. If not, I'll move it along because I'm a hunter not a collector.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Greg Massey

If you care about results , money doesn't matter much when it comes to turkey calls , collector or not , it's the results your looking for in a call builder to build you the best call possible, call's in my opinion are a investment , just like the other equipment you carry with you turkey hunting. We all attempt to get that magical call and sound, that will call ever turkey to the gun barrel , if that call we choose from a builder doesn't live up to those expectations , then you have to as yourself will i use that call again. So for that reason we may decide to sell the call. Everyone has their own sound they are looking for in calls. Pretty call's are nice , but i'm looking for my sound that gets birds to respond in my area were i hunt. No woods or calls are all going to sound alike, two calls from the same builder and combo will sound different in my opinion, it just what you like again for the sound your looking for in calling birds. I myself don't get on call builders list just to sell their call later. I pick my builders that i want to do business with because i feel they build the best calls for what i'm looking for in a call. I do also collect for the history of calls and call builders pass and present. Nothing wrong with selling a call for reasons of health or unforeseen reasons. After you buy that call it's pretty much your call and i feel most call builders feel the same.   I'm still buying, so i guess i'm still looking for that magical call or could it be i just need to get better and practice more with the calls i have ... lol

chufagold

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 12, 2019, 10:15:02 PM
If you care about results , money doesn't matter much when it comes to turkey calls , collector or not , it's the results your looking for in a call builder to build you the best call possible, call's in my opinion are a investment , just like the other equipment you carry with you turkey hunting. We all attempt to get that magical call and sound, that will call ever turkey to the gun barrel , if that call we choose from a builder doesn't live up to those expectations , then you have to as yourself will i use that call again. So for that reason we may decide to sell the call. Everyone has their own sound they are looking for in calls. Pretty call's are nice , but i'm looking for my sound that gets birds to respond in my area were i hunt. No woods or calls are all going to sound alike, two calls from the same builder and combo will sound different in my opinion, it just what you like again for the sound your looking for in calling birds. I myself don't get on call builders list just to sell their call later. I pick my builders that i want to do business with because i feel they build the best calls for what i'm looking for in a call. I do also collect for the history of calls and call builders pass and present. Nothing wrong with selling a call for reasons of health or unforeseen reasons. After you buy that call it's pretty much your call and i feel most call builders feel the same.   I'm still buying, so i guess i'm still looking for that magical call or could it be i just need to get better and practice more with the calls i have ... lol
Example... I dont buy a call just to sell but I may buy 20 a year and keep the 3 I like the best. all 20 have a chance it's just a select few that make the cut and I enjoy sifting through finding the ones that do.

Southerngobbler

The better the economy is the more buying and selling-it's a good thing

tal

I'm not a collector, don't have the money or inclination. That being said I own one call that was given to me by a household name that I will of course, keep. Good call makers earn a hard earned reputation. We seek out those calls for their art and sound. I guess I can understand a call maker getting miffed by seeing a call on the market they have recently made. But as a hunter, the old saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure come's to mind. Our own ability, touch, and preferences would always weigh on my decision to keep a call. To sell one of mine would not be a comment on the maker, just my own style. I've come by a couple calls that a guy didn't like, didn't sound good using it and I loved in my hands. The opposite is also true.

Greg Massey

Quote from: chufagold on August 12, 2019, 10:24:13 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on August 12, 2019, 10:15:02 PM
Example... I don't buy a call just to sell but I may buy 20 a year and keep the 3 I like the best. all 20 have a chance it's just a select few that make the cut and I enjoy sifting through finding the ones that do.
Buying call is your business and what you do with them later is also your business. I just don't feel everyone has the same opinion as you do in how you want to go about buying calls .. you ask for opinions and i think you will get a lot of different opinion on buying selling or keeping calls ... It's a passion regardless ..

tal

Quote from: chufagold on August 12, 2019, 10:41:34 PM
Instead of being torn on which single call to buy from a maker. I may buy 5 different wood/surface combos and keep the 2 I like the best.

Is this a bad practice and if so why?
Not for me. It's an old timer's saying but I always look for calls with 'turkey' in'em. I agree whole heartedly with that.

TauntoHawk

To me the issue arises when the asking prices for the call is appreciably higher then what the call maker sells them for. I could see where that could bother a maker who is working hard to build a fine call for a customer that's been on a list for months/years only to have the customer use it to make a profit off his craftsmanship.

The vast majority of us here do some buy, sell and trading every year, I too love trying new calls every year sometimes they are great but might be close in sound to ones I already have or just not what I was looking for but still a good call. I want those calls to find good homes, see the woods and kill turkeys plus allows me to create some more capital to try more calls. I really only see where there could be an offense taken is purposefully call flipping to profit, taking advantage of knowing people will pay a premium to cut the waiting list out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Happy

I will be the odd man out here. I will give a call away before I sell one. Would rather see a kid or fellow hunter have it and use it then try and "flip" it. I dont buy many calls and when I do it is purely with the intent to hunt it. If I am not wild about it then my boys get first dibs on it and after that all bets are off. I have a job for my income so I really have no interest in making money off of calls. Would rather pay it forward to other hunters and not muddy the waters of a fine sport. However once someone purchases a call it is theirs to do with as they please. I personally would not feel right jacking the price up on a hard to get call just because I could. It just wouldn't set well with me. It's kinda like scalping tickets in my opinion and I dont like raking people through the coals even if they are willing to let me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club