OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol Grip

Started by NCL, July 27, 2019, 10:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

I am thinking that I want a pistol grip on my Beretta Xtrena. I have not done much research on this topic other than a quick internet search. Has anyone done this on a Beretta or any other shotgun? Recommendation on anyone who does this type of work? Thanks in advance.

Southerngobbler

For me the pistol  grip hung up on bushes and stuff if your actually gonna do any crawling around. Every now and then you need to maneuver though some vegetation and the old school stock works better for that. It was bad enough for me that I switched back to an old school stock.

Greg Massey

I have pistol grip stocks on 3 of my turkey guns , i really like them , you just have to see what's available for your Beretta Xtrena , sometimes you can find adjustable tactical stock that might work. I have Mossberg 500 setup with tactical stock, Remington with ShurShot stock another Remington with older model pistol grip stock. I like the pistol grip stocks , you can get your thumb out of the way and have better control holding you gun.

Yoteduster

I have a pistol grip on my remington and once I got use to It I really like it but everybody hunts differently so you will have to decide what's best for your style of hunting

Sasha and Abby

I put one on my SBE dedicated turkey gun...  a game changer...  you are MUCH more steady and move less.  I will guarantee you will like it...  I have NEVER had mine get hung up on anything...

guesswho

If you can find one to fit your gun you should be able to install it yourself.  I've used a pistol grip stock for turkey hunting for years now and can't see myself going back to a traditional style.   I love mine.  For me the pro's outweigh the con's, I really can't think of any cons.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

NCL

Guys thanks for the replies. Intuitively a pistol grip would make the gun more steady which is what I am trying to achieve. I am to old to crawl so there should not be a problem with the handle hanging up. Now the problem of finding the grip and a smith to install. I do not trust myself to try an install.

Fullfan

I have 3 dedicated turkey guns all with pistol grips. For me they hold easier when the gun is on my knee waiting for the bird. I have never had a problem with them getting snagged on anything. My girls 21 and 18 and they both prefer them over the standard stock guns I have.
Don't gobble at me...

bear hunter

I have a pistol grip on my remington and love it. If your siting still with your gun on your knee you can get a rock solid rest with it.

SOCOM304

I personally love a pistol grip on my dedicated turkey guns. I have three and absolutely can tell a difference in comfort and trigger control as I can easily put my trigger into the first joint of my finger.

vaplowboy

Never tried one, but I think I"ll stay with the traditional.

Greg Massey

Quote from: vaplowboy on August 06, 2019, 07:04:37 PM
Never tried one, but I think I"ll stay with the traditional.
You know , i felt the same way until i tried one years ago ... i couldn't go back now to traditional...

land cruiser

My xtrema has a recoil reduction system in the stock, not sure how much of 3.5" Nitro kick I am ready to enjoy.

sixbird

Quote from: NCL on July 28, 2019, 08:09:34 AM
Guys thanks for the replies. Intuitively a pistol grip would make the gun more steady which is what I am trying to achieve. I am to old to crawl so there should not be a problem with the handle hanging up. Now the problem of finding the grip and a smith to install. I do not trust myself to try an install.

Man, don't pay a smith. It's so easy, a caveman can do it!   ;)
In all seriousness, it's really easy to do and it'll give you some knowledge about how part of your gun operates. Check on YouTube. There will be clear instruction on how to do it there. I've installed recoil springs in mine and I'm no gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.
I was scared stiff to mess with my trigger until I needed to install aftermarket springs in it. I can't tell you how simple and effective that was. Had a stiff trigger and in about 15 minutes, I have a great trigger...AND, I understand how it all works now.

dirt road ninja

I've got both and it's not game changer. Does look cool in the pictures and definitely does not require a gunsmith to install.