turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shane's Experiment

Started by GobbleNut, June 23, 2019, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

I recommend O.G.ers take a look at Shane Simpson's video about the experiment he and his daughter Brooke did on nest predation. 

First, I applaud Shane for trying to teach his daughter that there is more to being a good turkey hunter than being able to kill turkeys.  Everybody that turkey hunts should be instilling that "conservation ethic" to their kids and grandkids.  There are a lot of adults that could use those kinds of lessons, as well.

Secondly, Shane's experiment in creating artificial turkey nests to try to verify nest predators is ingenious.  Wildlife managers have been doing that sort of thing for a long time, but the idea of property owners/laymen doing something similar on their own properties to specifically identify the nest-raiding culprits they have,...and then taking direct and specific action to eliminate those "perps",...borders on brilliance. 

Good for you and Brooke, Shane!

troutfisher13111

I really enjoyed the whole experiment and am now thinking about doing it on my own property. I don't even hunt here often, but it would still be a learning experience.

Shane seems like a cool guy, I'd enjoy hunting with him

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Interesting.   Funny, but I did the same thing behind my house about 3 weeks ago.  The eggs I used were old boiled eggs my Wife had in the refrigerator, probably not a good test subject.   I put them out one afternoon.   It wasn't 30 minutes and a single crow found it.   He left and in about another 20 minutes there were 4 crows on it.    I was expecting coons, but never got the first picture.  The crows kept coming back for about 3 days until there wasn't anything left.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Yoteduster

Interesting.. crows,ravens and magpies are hard on nesting birds around here coons and skunks do the most damage so since it's legal here in my state I trap them year round in our turkey hunting properties  and it's made a big difference in our poult hatch and survival numbers but this year we've had alot of spring flooding and i think that has destroyed alot of nest you can't really fight mother nature but you can control pest and predators

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on June 23, 2019, 09:21:00 AM
Interesting.   Funny, but I did the same thing behind my house about 3 weeks ago.  The eggs I used were old boiled eggs my Wife had in the refrigerator, probably not a good test subject.   I put them out one afternoon.   It wasn't 30 minutes and a single crow found it.   He left and in about another 20 minutes there were 4 crows on it.    I was expecting coons, but never got the first picture.  The crows kept coming back for about 3 days until there wasn't anything left.

I would guess I am one of the few around here that realized you were a "stable genius" right off the bat.  ...But then again, it is me saying that,...so don't get too cocky, buddy!   ;D :toothy9:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 23, 2019, 10:18:18 AM
I would guess I am one of the few around here that realized you were a "good looking stable genius" right off the bat.  ...But then again, it is me saying that,...so don't get too cocky, buddy!   ;D :toothy9:
Fixed it for you!

I'd like to see more members try this and see what results they get from across the country.   I've always heard that skunks were pretty rough on the nests.   GON (Georgia Outdoor News) did this a couple years ago.  They encouraged people to participate and share their photos.   But they were wanting people to put cameras on real nests that they found in the spring, which I didn't think was a good idea.  But I never saw any results from this, not sure if I just missed it or what.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

simpzenith

Thanks GobbleNut. We're going to try and put a few more nests out this coming week but I'm limited on cams this round. Most are in the woods for deer.  :D

Greg Massey

Interesting ... good idea....may try this myself ....

SinGin

It would be interesting to see a test like this only with dyed eggs to match a turkey instead of bleached white eggs, also maybe covering the eggs a bit with leaves like a hen does to the nest when she has to leave it.

tal

Right on top of a nest of leaves and hid close-by during crow season.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

eggshell

Even better than a camera, a trap, and no predator walks away.

RutnNStrutn

So did Shane just put your "nest" out in the open, or stash it in a thick area like hens do?

tal

For turkey predation info I'd definitely have it natural, in a good turkey nesting area. For shooting predators, I'd want it real visible... LOL.

simpzenith

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 27, 2019, 06:06:06 PM
So did Shane just put your "nest" out in the open, or stash it in a thick area like hens do?

I placed them similar to how I typically find real nests in this area.