turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Composition of Hevi-13 shot?

Started by Turkeytider, June 16, 2019, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Does anyone , other than the manufacturer of course, know the composition of the shot in Hevi-13 turkey loads? Anything I've seen has been vague at best. Maybe some sort of trade secret? It's non-toxic leading me to believe there's some tungsten in there somewhere,perhaps. It's advertised as "heavier than lead". I'm assuming an alloy of some sort?

Happy

Not sure what the complete make-up is but fairly certain tungsten is one of the components.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bay1985

Tungsten alloy not 100% Tungsten, probably bismuth or some other metal mixed in.

Gobble!

Its a variety as others have mentioned. I've never seen the % breakdowns.

Marc

I believe that Hevi-shot is an alloy made of tungsten, iron, and nickel.

When Hevi-Shot 13 initially came it, the name was based on the density of the pellets being 13 g/cc, but I believe that currently that Hevi-Shot 13 is actually 12 g/cc.  (I don't remember them ever making the announcement of decreasing the density of the load).

Environmental Metals makes some good products, but it seems they also make some "fluff," and they are a buyer beware product with some of the marketing shenanigans they have been involved in.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mudhen

Tungsten, nickel, and iron blend with a moly coating...

EM is working on a line of H-18, can't wait to test it!!!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

bbcoach

I don't buy into ALL the drama and talk with the Hevi 13 ammo.  What I know is this stuff WILL flat out kill turkeys.  I set up an 835 about 12 years ago with the Hevi 13 7's and she is a KILLER.  When the company changed the wads a few years ago and Longbeards became the THING, I found several boxes of the old lots that shot so well and I'm set for life.  Many hunters on this site LOVE these shells and many birds have taken dirtnaps with the 13 offerings.  With 300 plus in 10 at 40, you can't go wrong.

Turkeytider

Quote from: bbcoach on June 18, 2019, 11:55:29 AM
I don't buy into ALL the drama and talk with the Hevi 13 ammo.  What I know is this stuff WILL flat out kill turkeys.  I set up an 835 about 12 years ago with the Hevi 13 7's and she is a KILLER.  When the company changed the wads a few years ago and Longbeards became the THING, I found several boxes of the old lots that shot so well and I'm set for life.  Many hunters on this site LOVE these shells and many birds have taken dirtnaps with the 13 offerings.  With 300 plus in 10 at 40, you can't go wrong.

As the OP, thanks everybody. Yes, I think it`s a terrific shell and turkey load . Shoot 2oz. of #6. Have no need to shoot anything else and won`t ( as long as they make it ). Pretty close to a TSS.

runngun

Myself as well.  My Ithaca Turkey slayer 12 gauge loves the Hevi 13 straight 7s.
I am shooting TSS now but good to have a stock pile of Hevi 7s. My TC Encore 12 likes them to. So does my Browning Maxxus 3.5 12 gauge. 

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

LI Outdoorsman

I also stocked up pretty good on Hevi-13 loads....primarily #6 and a few boxes of #5....in 12ga 3 inch
them things flatten birds out of my 870 and dont really see the need to change yet