turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wavy yelp

Started by Ctrize, June 10, 2019, 04:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctrize

Years ago I remember some one talking about a wavy yelp. I don't remember if it was on a tape or book. This year I heard it for only the second time. A hen with a Tom was in a river bottom thirty yards away aTom poked his head over the bank for a second then disappeared.. I doubled yelped and the hen answered with a regular yelp then an extended yelp that lingered in the middle like a soft yodel. The Tom answered immediately. Twice I yelped and she wavey yelped and twice he gobbled. When I decided to wavey yelp he gobbled and marched right up the bank. Does any one know who coined the term,Wavy yelp?

Turkeytider

Quote from: Ctrize on June 10, 2019, 04:00:58 PM
Years ago I remember some one talking about a wavy yelp. I don't remember if it was on a tape or book. This year I heard it for only the second time. A hen with a Tom was in a river bottom thirty yards away aTom poked his head over the bank for a second then disappeared.. I doubled yelped and the hen answered with a regular yelp then an extended yelp that lingered in the middle like a soft yodel. The Tom answered immediately. Twice I yelped and she wavey yelped and twice he gobbled. When I decided to wavey yelp he gobbled and marched right up the bank. Does any one know who coined the term,Wavy yelp?

Would like to hear what that sounds like. What type call were you using?

Candyman

Is this similar to what Kenny Morgan called the quaver of a young hen?

Jim K

Seems to me Primos might have called it that.

Ctrize

I have Kenny's book I'll look through it.

TauntoHawk

Never heard the term wavey Yelp, your description makes me think of a whine but I'm assuming you are referring to something different. I thought a quaver was a series of 3 light purrs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

silvestris

To my knowledge Kenny never spoke of a wavy yelp.  He did use what he called a wavy singing sound which is the sound mostly heard by hens in extremely close hearing range.  The quaver is usually three note purring yelps, also not audible very far with human hears.  Kenny was very fond of the quiet sounds.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

Interesting.  Never heard it from a turkey,...or heard the term before.  However, I have heard numerous off-the-wall sounds by turkeys where I have asked myself,..."What the heck was that?".  I have a tendency to discount those sounds as anomalies, but perhaps that is a mistake in some situations. 
...Maybe the "wavy yelp" is the next fad in turkey calling for bringing those tough birds in!   ;D :icon_thumright:

runngun

I have heard Will Primos and Cuz Strickland talk about and mimic the call on a mouth call.

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Ctrize

I was using a diaphragm.The sound was definitely a part of the yelp and could be an anomaly as I have only heard it twice
in thirty years.I suspect Lovett would have documented it if it was a part of the vocabulary.Thanks for the feed back fellas.

TauntoHawk

Denny Gulvas would be another guy to call and ask, as far as I know he's still out in the woods most every day recording turkey sounds.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobbler428

If you watch Del Crows' video on YouTube he talks about and demonstrates it on a trumpet. Might want to reach out to Del about this yelp.

nitro

Dr Lovett Williams only documented 13 calls.

When I sat with him way back when, he preached that you only needed to master 4 calls. 

Woodsmanship, position, nerves of steel and accurate shooting are very important.

A lot of folks want to demonstrate some quaver, wavy yelp, breeding squeal or other fancy sounds - in an attempt tp sell you something.  If you haven't heard it in 30 years, it's probably not a call turkeys make often. 

Focus on the 4 calls and make them to the best of your ability..
Royal Slam 2008

troutfisher13111

I've always thought position was the hardest to master. It's why great deer hunters often make poor turkey killers

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Terry on June 11, 2019, 04:55:22 PM
I've always thought position was the hardest to master. It's why great deer hunters often make poor turkey killers

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

That's something I noticed on Dave's youtube, they don't do anything with a bird until they are set up where they think they need to be. They almost never give in to the "well he's gobbling, so lets just try it from here"