turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wavy yelp

Started by Ctrize, June 10, 2019, 04:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkz39

I most definitely know the Yelp you are talking about. I have heard a few times usually very early in the morning when I did hear it.This isn't a sales pitch, but Marlin Watkins is the best person I have ever heard repeat that sound , and marlin done so with a trumpet call.

GobbleNut

First of all, I hope someone can put up a link to sound file that demonstrates this call.  That would definitely aid in this discussion.

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 12, 2019, 03:45:04 PM
That's something I noticed on Dave's youtube, they don't do anything with a bird until they are set up where they think they need to be. They almost never give in to the "well he's gobbling, so lets just try it from here"

Hijacking the thread for a moment on this concept.  I, too, have noticed that the "Pinhoti Brothers" (I say that fondly,...I really like Dave and Kenny) have a tendency to contemplate their approach to a lot of gobblers.  That is almost always accompanied by a thorough discussion of the topography by referencing OnX (or whatever app).  That indeed is always a great strategy,...especially if you don't know the area well.

Although I agree that taking time to contemplate the approach on a bird is wise in many cases, there are also times when the opposite can be the proper approach.  Personally, I have killed a lot of birds by answering their gobbles from afar and then heading to them immediately,...imitating a hen that has heard them gobble and is on her way.  The problem with that is it can encourage a gobbler to stand his ground and wait.  On the other hand, it can also start an anxious gobbler moving quickly towards the willing hen.  Bottom line is that it is always a guess, one way or the other. 

Not to get too far into the weeds here,...this would be a good topic for discussion in a separate thread.  They do a lot of stuff in their videos that would make for a great (civil) discussion about their tactics (the same can be said for several of the other YouTubers) .  ...If we can just keep the turkey-hunting Supermen from deciding they want to leap the tall buildings...   ;D :toothy12:

Happy

Go ahead and start that thread gobblenut. I want to see if I can clear the curb in the parking lots of these tall buildings.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on June 13, 2019, 08:48:24 AM
Go ahead and start that thread gobblenut. I want to see if I can clear the curb in the parking lots of these tall buildings.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  ...So, how long do you think it will be until Shannon has to pull the thread?...
Hey, maybe we can have a contest where everybody gets to guess...  I'll throw in a T-shirt with a big red S on the front as the prize!!   ;D :toothy12: :TooFunny:

Happy

Not very long is my wager.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

simpzenith

Not sure if I've ever heard the call (wavy yelp) you described unless I'm just not understanding your description correctly. Could it be similar to what this hen is producing? https://youtu.be/1ygOKObpC4A

GobbleNut

Unfortunately, Shane, I could not see the video fully,...could only hear the audio.  Assuming those sound were all coming from live turkeys, I would guess they were from turkeys having some sort of dominance interaction.  Those sounds are pretty typical of that sort of thing from what I have seen (although usually not quite so exaggerated).  I would agree with you that those sounds would fall into the aggressive purr and whine category more than anything,...although I suppose some of those sounds could be interpreted by someone as some sort of modified yelping.

That really goes to show just how many "oddball" noises turkeys can make when they really get into it...   :icon_thumright:

simpzenith

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 14, 2019, 08:41:33 AM
Unfortunately, Shane, I could not see the video fully,...could only hear the audio.  Assuming those sound were all coming from live turkeys, I would guess they were from turkeys having some sort of dominance interaction.  Those sounds are pretty typical of that sort of thing from what I have seen (although usually not quite so exaggerated).  I would agree with you that those sounds would fall into the aggressive purr and whine category more than anything,...although I suppose some of those sounds could be interpreted by someone as some sort of modified yelping.

That really goes to show just how many "oddball" noises turkeys can make when they really get into it...   :icon_thumright:

Yes, it was a lone, juvenile hen beating up on someone's decoy. She seemed pretty upset too. lol

Ctrize

The closest she came is just before reaching the decoy  that high to low wine.Nothing in my situation dictated aggression.The hen was yelping normal and threw the wavy call in that also sounded relaxed.

Turkz39

not sure if this is it or not but this is from a old lynch instruction pamphlet that came with the call back when they where in Birmingham Alabama.  It speaks of the quaver sound.

wchadw

Quote from: Turkz39 on June 17, 2019, 11:18:35 PM
not sure if this is it or not but this is from a old lynch instruction pamphlet that came with the call back when they where in Birmingham Alabama.  It speaks of the quaver sound.
In later instructions for jet slate this is labeled "whine"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferocious calls

I have 25 Eastern hens. So far in 4.5 years of being around 300-400 hens in that time there have been 3 hens that have made the wavy yelp. One of them is like a pet. She will fly up on my knee when I sit down. She is on her second nest currently. Hatched 13 3 weeks ago. Anyway she does this wavy Yelp very often and I often try to imitate her. When I do the boys seem to like it and respond most often. It really is more like a yodel in between yelps.

Bourbon Red hens often make this yodeling sound as well. They actually have a reverse Yelp that stats low and ends high sometimes.

Ctrize

Thanks for the post hopefully someone will post a recording of it.

Double B

Check out Lost Lake, Joe Mole has a video that has a wavy call.   About 9 min in.  I came across it a while back and figured it would be good one to share on this thread.   
https://youtu.be/CLakELVp1lw.   
Followed by buzzards

Ctrize

I consider those whips and whines it will be interesting  to see what other guys think.