OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black hills

Started by VA Gobble Addict, June 10, 2019, 09:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Gobble Addict

I'm thinking of making a return trip to the black hills next year. Anyone that went there this year have a report on gobbler/jake numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

SoDak_JD

Just snow....lots and lots of snow for my trips  :TooFunny:

First trip was just a few days at the beginning of May: 5" one day, 8" the next

Second trip was the the third week of May: one day of hunting in the snow, then 22" and everything was shut down

Can't help with specific numbers.  There are plenty of birds out there.  There are also plenty of hunters.  I've heard lots of stories of success and plenty of pictures.

Good luck if it works out for you to make the trip!

VA Gobble Addict

Yeah I've heard the spring has been a rough one out that way. Just didn't know how the hatches or winter kill has been since I was out there a few years ago. The main goal of this trip would be to get my buddy his first merriam with mine being second priority. I'm sure we won't have a problem if it's like it was the last time I was there. I appreciate the info man.

Hootin-N-Hammer

simpzenith

If you're just looking to get a white-tipped bird, might I suggest getting a SD Prairie tag instead. The hunting is a little easier in general (terrain, number of birds, etc.) and the weather is typically not as bad as the hills.

VA Gobble Addict

I've already got my Merriams. I just enjoy hunting the hills. Not looking for anyone's spots or places to go. Just a general question about how the population is doing. I appreciate everyone's advice though.

simpzenith

Quote from: VA Gobble Addict on June 14, 2019, 08:32:17 AM
I've already got my Merriams. I just enjoy hunting the hills. Not looking for anyone's spots or places to go. Just a general question about how the population is doing. I appreciate everyone's advice though.

:icon_thumright:

zeke632

We were there 5-22 thru 5-25. 14" of snow.  The snow melted by the last day because it was raining.  Saw some turkeys but they weren't interested in anything we had to offer. We're planning on going back sometime.  Pretty country and friendly people.