OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Biology

Started by bkraft, June 09, 2019, 10:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraft

I live in South Central Ks, yesterday morning I saw a gobbler with about four hens in stubble field. What was unusual was that Tom was in full strut. My question is since we have had 23+ inches of rain since May 1st much of it torrential could he have been tending hens whose nests had washed out.

neal

Yes absolutely, or possibly juvenile hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

HookedonHooks

I've been observing  similar behavior around me in more northern central KS as well. I think many hens lost nests early season and are trying again.

Been a very tough spring for most, all over the country, will definitely have lots of late hatches and the total hatch will certainly be lower. (Good thing is everyone reported MANY Jakes this year pretty well across the country too.)

tal

What Neal said. Jennys are usually the last to breed and may not try again after losing a nest. Adult hens (2 yoa or better) will start earlier and will try multiple times using up available body resources, I think studies have shown up to 5 or 6 times. A little tidbit... Gobbler sperm is viable up to 30 days in the hen. So a hen may not need a gobbler after losing a nest. Conjecture, not enough studies yet. So what you saw is not out of the norm, and could be a combination of things.

Spitten and drummen

May be trying to breed and re nest being all that water most likely destroyed their nest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Yoteduster

I've noticed a little of that here in utah and now our rivers are breaching from the spring runoff so we could possibly lose some more