OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical  (Read 4725 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical
« on: June 05, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
I have been spending most of my time and funds the last few years building,buying and setting up a handful of 20 gauges.I have recently started wanting another 12 gauge to go in my collection and was leaning towards a semi but got talking to a friend that I worked with for years and sent out a few emails and found a gun that I wanted years ago and I have been wanting a pistol grip 12 gauge since I sold my 870 a decade ago.

I today ordered in the Mossberg 835 turkey tactical.It is going to be a bit of a wait to get it but I will have it in lots of time for fall turkey season.My setup is going to be....

-Undertaker hd .675
-Bushnell trs 25 red dot
-The Claw sling
-Winchester Longbeard 3.5" 4-5-6's & Federal Tss 3.5" #7's

I am excited to get the gun and put some shells through it this summer.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
I have been spending most of my time and funds the last few years building,buying and setting up a handful of 20 gauges.I have recently started wanting another 12 gauge to go in my collection and was leaning towards a semi but got talking to a friend that I worked with for years and sent out a few emails and found a gun that I wanted years ago and I have been wanting a pistol grip 12 gauge since I sold my 870 a decade ago.

I today ordered in the Mossberg 835 turkey tactical.It is going to be a bit of a wait to get it but I will have it in lots of time for fall turkey season.My setup is going to be....

-Undertaker hd .675
-Bushnell trs 25 red dot
-The Claw sling
-Winchester Longbeard 3.5" 4-5-6's & Federal Tss 3.5" #7's

I am excited to get the gun and put some shells through it this summer.

Congrats! Might want to consider investing ( they`re not expensive ) in a slip on Limbsaver for that beast if you`re shooting 3.5s  . It could be a real snot slinger! My 870 Super Mag knocked me cross eyed until I tamed it down.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »
This model comes with a good recoil pad I believe and I have a few here I can put on if needed,I have shot 3.5" turkey loads through most my guns and the recoil is fine.I have never felt as much recoil as when shooting my good friends mossberg 535 3.5" turkey loads.It about wants to make you puke,he won that gun and I told him he should have gave it away at the delta waterfowl banquet the night he won it.

I have a timeline of 5-7 weeks to receive the gun.I have never owned a mossberg myself,I have sold a ton of them over the years and three of my good friends are huge fans of their shotguns,the 500,535's.

I just like having options of all different types whether it be gauge,grip,barrel length etc.They are just hunting guns and I like trying new ones.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Best patterning turkey gun out. Good luck with it.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
Send some PICS when you get it rigged out.  I shoot the regular 835 with the .670 pure gold and 3 1/2 #7 Hevi's and she is a GREAT turkey killing machine.  If you decide on TSS, then don't even think of 7's, go with 9's.  9's will give you more shot in the pattern and is equal to #4 lead in density.  Good luck and keep us Mossy owners up to date.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »
I will be shooting Tss #7's and longbeards in 4,5,6.If I was allowed by the law to shoot 9's I would test them.

I have 8-9 boxes of longbeards in 3" & 3.5" in 4's,5's and 6's.I was never going to shoot tss from a 12 gauge but seeing how much I like them from my 20 gauges.I am going to try them.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
I purchased a picatinny rail for it today as I want to test my Bushnell 1.75x4x32 Trophy Xlt Circle dot reticle scope on it before I purchase another Bushnell trs 25.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 10:15:14 PM »
Found out today that it would be considerably longer than what they were told,I decided not to wait for it and have decided to pick up a new waterfowl/turkey pump instead.I am buying from the same place as they are excellent to deal with.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
I am not going to go with a mossberg though.I am going to buy myself another browning.I just have not decided on which one I want.I am leaning towards another bps to go along with my others but I also may try a Browning silver.New pup,new gun.I just find it hard to stray from Browning as they are my favorite handling and I like them better than anything else.I really don't need a new one but It has been a decade since I purchased myself a new waterfowl toy.

Offline longislandloco

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Happy Shopin' and Happy Shootin' Kid!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
I found a place that just brought these guns in, and I will have one of my own finally to setup for the fall,or 2022. I am picking it up in June after our season is over. I always wanted one of these.I have tried and tried to actually find one,almost had one a few years back and then the place could not deliver,this time It will happen.Add another to the collection!

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 05:27:52 PM »
I'll be picking this gun up Thursday after work,and I will be patterning it either Thursday evening or Friday and will be hunting with it this weekend.I am going to mount a set of Williams universal fiber optics and dial them in and I am also going to mount a Bushnell reflex sight on after and dial it in,so I have it dialed in with both.

I am going to use the stock turkey choke and longbeard #4's-5"s and maybe try a Federal 3rd degree 5-6-7. I figure I want to try it out and don't want to wait until next Spring.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 08:18:39 PM »
I picked this gun up after work today,I just finished cleaning it and attaching the Williams universal sight and a marlin 336 base for when my reflex sight arrives. The gun was filthy,but I never thought anything of it.I cant seem to locate a spot to attach a sling on the pistol grip stock.It has one on the barrel nut,I used a zip tie for now.I plan on patterning and sighting it in sometime tomorrow.I always wanted this gun.I have the 535 in a 22" with the pistol grip and now this little cannon. Mossberg's in tow all weekend.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 09:02:13 PM »
I hunted with this gun last year and really like it,I just shot stock choke and longbeards and plan on shooting longbeards but I want to try another choke, I never tried a pure gold before but I am leaning for a .670 pure gold.

I did notice the finish wear real quick on the gun where I carry it, I tend to carry them in my left hand where barrel meets receiver and apparently the bug juice I was using late season,eats the finish. I have never had that issue before, but i also never used the bug juice I bought before,It didn't really work so I guess I will have to be more careful.

I really like this gun.I plan on doing some shooting here this winter as long as its not -30 until April.

I also unscrewed and took off that useless black "mossberg" strap on the forend.I hated it on the gun.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 11:50:10 PM »
I ended up reading some reviews on chokes and located and bought a new truglo ssx for this gun tonight. It seems to be highly thought of for the 835.