OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Affinity TSS 20

Started by macobb, June 02, 2019, 08:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I am swapping to a Affinity 20 gauge for next season which is only 288 days away. I'm looking for info on the Affinity 20 gauge and what chokes you're using? What do your patterns look like at 20 & 40 yards?
While I intend to hand load in the future the first year with a 20 I may go store bought, so info on federal, apex, or any store bought tss is appreciated too. Are you having any cycling issues and if so what are they? I appreciate any and all the help I can get.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Jim K

I bought an Affinity this past winter in 20 gauge. I tried federal and apex with factory and a trulock choke. The federal wouldn't cycle out of it. The empty ejects but the second shell drops into the bottom of the magazine. The apex is about 3/16" shorter and cycles fine. So I'm stuck using apex. The federal seemed to shoot a tighter pattern.

I hunted Nebraska, Montana and PA this spring. I couldn't use 9's in Nebraska due to their regulations so I used a federal backed up with two apex.

I just got in some Browning 7/9 tss but haven't tried them out yet.

I do want to try some different choke combinations with different shells.

I'm very happy with the gun. My buddy and I killed 11 birds with 20 gauge Affinity's this spring. Mostly with 9 shot and we were very impressed. I hope all states get on board with using the smaller shot soon. Jim

Jstocks

I like the undertaker .582  in mine..... before I gave it to my daughter. The 90/93 recipe gave me excellent 20 and still tight enough 40 yard patterns. I never counted, but I'd say my 40 yard patterns were still 225 to 250ish, while the 20" circle was close to the same number. This is an 1 5/8 oz of #9's.

My daughter shoots 1 3/8oz of 9.5's. The smaller shot liked a tighter choke. She's shooting a primos tightwad.

Spurs

This is the second season my son has shot his "compact" edition, so I am not sure exactly how this will stack up to a full size.  But his gun seemed to like the undertaker choke with Apex 9s.  There were tighter patterns, but that seemed to be the most "even" pattern with a dense enough pattern for a youth hunter. 

Also, as a side note, he smoked a tom this year with it at 38 yards, through some pretty thick stuff.  Probable the least amount of flopping I've ever witnessed for a head shot.  I also found 8 pellet marks in it's head.  I also shot a tom with it last year (made a last minute flight home and wasn't able to get my gun on the flight).  I smoked a tom at 15 yards and jellied his head.

Super sweet gun, but loading into the mag tube does kinda suck.
This year is going to suck!!!

Spitten and drummen

Try your factory full first. You may be surprised. Tss patterns great outta most chokes including factory ones.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

macobb

Thanks for the information guys. Keep it coming. I'm just trying to get an idea of what people are seeing pattern wise. I also plan to put on the burris FF III Or vortex Venom. I like the look of the FF 3 better cause it looks like it doesn't extend wider than the gun like the venom. Thoughts?
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Jstocks

I had a venom on mine at one time. It now has an ff2 on it because that's easier for my daughter to operate.

Both good sights.

You should be fine buying the best deal you can get on either.

snapper1982

check out fox trot ammo.

Clark8907

I load my own loads and trim 3in shells and have no issues with cycling. I use a sumtoy 562 in mine and average around 350 in the ten with the best in the 390s. However it's a little hot for my liking and will be trying it soon with a Carlson 575 and a new sumtoy 570. Awesome gun and I will never go back to a 12 gauge. I went with the ff3 because I got a hell of a deal with being military.

LabsRUsII

Carlson 575 choke
Shot 3rd degree this year right pattern red dot scope on picatinny rail
Also had a tactacam mounted on right side of rail  I'm left handed  changed safety to left hand too
Next year will try tss

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods