turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

21” turkey guns worthwhile?

Started by mnhunter2, June 01, 2019, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

My dedicated turkey guns have 21" barrels, shur-shot stocks and red dots. They are great for turkey shooting.
All others have 26-28" barrels and bead sights, I used 2 of these type this year. they work fine too, they also shoot doves , pheasants and clays.
Handling wise i haven't really a preference other than a 28" Auto or pump 12 becomes a little unwieldy for me.
Never had any problem with a 21" patterning well. Look at some of the posts of the 21" 20 gauge 870, some great patterns posted on here.

Spurs Up

Quote from: mudhen on June 02, 2019, 02:35:27 AM
Nope...longer barrels tend to pattern better...

But I'm sure most shotguns can kill a turkey...

Agreed. In my experience, longer barrels seem to pattern tighter and more consistent over a wider variety of chokes and choke constrictions. I can usually get tight and uniform patterns out of shorter barreled guns, but they tend — not always— to require more tinkering.

Once I find the right combo, I vastly prefer a short barreled shotgun (with a short LOP too) for turkey hunting. Couldn't hit bull in the azz with them if the bull was flying. But fine for aiming at still or slow moving targets (I top mine with a reflex sight). Way easier for me to carry and aim in the woods. I'll occasionally still hunt with a 28" barrel but feel like I have to back up to point it and duck under every limb when walking through woods.

outdoors

M2 mr. Benelli 20ga.  24"  never ventured elsewhere
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mikejd

I have guns with barrels ranging from 18" to 28" and as others have said the longer barrels are easier to get the best patterns out of. However my favorite guns and the only ones I carry are the 18" and 21". Once you find the choke and shell pattern that works best they pattern as well as my longer barrel guns.

Sasha and Abby

I have a 21" BPS Upland and a 24" SBE that have killed hundreds of turkeys...  they work just fine if that is what you like. 

Magdump

I use a 21" .410 barrel on my Contender.  Super light and works great!

Spurs

No way I will ever hunt with another gun that sticks up over my head. 

Everyone knows a Mossy ain't even got the kick that a solid hickory limb yanking on a choke tube. :TooFunny:
This year is going to suck!!!

kyturkeyhunter4

Me personally I like the shorter barrels it just make it easier to get around the woods with especially if you hunt out of ground blinds.

SteelerFan

For a dedicated, aimed fire turkey gun - it's hard to beat the compact capabilities of the 20 gauge with a good choke & ammo combo. I really like the maneuverability of the 21" (22 w/ choke), and it's easy to point / aim with a sight. 100% confidence for any ethical range.

It would make the world's worst dove gun.

Manoflaw

I spoke to a gunsmith who claims with the newer hotter burning powder, advanced shells and advanced chokes that you can get a 21 inch barrel to pattern as good as a longer barrel. He said something about the newer powder is able to achieve full velocity at something like 18 inches.

chufagold

Short barrel for me. Longer barrel gives me no advantage when I have a scope and tss!

BrowningGuy88

If you inventoried my turkey guns, you'd say I prefer 18.5" - 22" barrels and for the most part you'd be right. I prefer to not snag on every bush I walk by. However, the last two I bought have 26" barrels.

Jeremy66

I used a 28" barrel on my 870 for a couple years but had it cut down to 23".  Absolutely love it.  In the process of setting up a 21" 870 20 gauge now.

acesand8s

My gun is a 1300 Winchester 12 gauge.  I love it, it's light and easy to maneuver.

WKYHNTR

I have always been a fan of the short barrel guns, always have and always will be. This year I purchased a Benelli M2 12 gauge with a 21" barrel and I will never look back. This is the ultimate turkey gun and I feel like it is not advertised at all!
-Let him go so he can grow.