OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

21” turkey guns worthwhile?

Started by mnhunter2, June 01, 2019, 09:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Has anyone hunted with on of these short barreled turkey guns and found them to handle and shoot better then the longer barreled guns.

paboxcall

With today's choke tube designs, heavier than lead loads (especially TSS) and high velocities, barrel length is a non-issue. Comes down to personal preference, but the above advances even make 10 and 12 gauge loads unnecessary.

A shorter barrel will carry and handle better when set up in the woods. I prefer a barrel 22" or less, though I have a single shot with a 24" barrel and find the extra length isn't necessary. I carry a 20 gauge with a 22" barrel and shoot 2.75" hand-loaded TSS these days that patterns as well or better than my 12 gauges.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

nyhunter

ABSOLUTELY. thats all my son and I use nowadays

Dtrkyman

I have a 23 inch on my 20ga, I prefer longer, is actually awkward too me carrying that stubby thing, never seen an issue with a 26 which I would prefer.

Got a good buy on my 20 so that's why it's a shorty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I really enjoyed my short  barrel .20 ga this year. I wouldn't say it's shoots better than a longer barrel but it shoots plenty good to knock a turkey in the dirt. Definitely is nicer for carrying through the woods, truck backseat, and hopefully for my kids in a few more years. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

Not for me. I used one a couple years. It was very loud and I never found it so much handier. I went back to full grown guns. A 28" barrel with a standard velocity load works as well as anything and is easy on the ears.

One point on this, though, is that I don't carry the gun on a sling until after I shoot the bird. It's a throwback to hunting deer and rabbits with a shotgun. You will miss opportunities if your gun is slung over your shoulder.

James gang

I have three 21 in remington autos and my son has an 870 they dont shoot quite as good as my old long barrel 1100 but they all shoot well no comparison in the woods though shorter barrel handles and carries so much better esp20 ga and like above post says with the loads available today 20 ga is no disadvantage

Bowguy

Im another one doesn't buy into shorter barrels or shorter guns. A gun must fit you, a real short barreled gun is apt to be whippier, harder to aim. They both have pros n cons I guess but I use a full sized though not oversized gun

Turkeytider

Interesting the differences of opinions on this. None are wrong. I`ve hunted with 28" gun ( Remington V3 ), no sling. My dedicated turkey gun is an 870 Super Mag, 23" with a sling. While it`s heavier ( thing`s a tank!), I really prefer my 870 for turkeys. Usually carrying a decoy bag on my back and a turkey chair on a sling cross wise. The sling on the gun lets me maneuver hands free. I like the shorter barrel personally.

Anybody that likes to set up and hunt, look into the Knight and Hale Universal Hands Free System. It is great!

1iagobblergetter

I like the shorter barrel guns. Seems like i get tangled up less walking in woods with it on a sling. I also prefer the shorter barrel when hunting in a blind with my son for maneuverability.

Greg Massey

Short barrel guns all the way ... nothing better in my opinion .... but if you want to carry a log of a barrel of a gun , that's up to you....

Hook hanger

Carried a 22" barrel since the late 80s and seen 100+ birds fall to it. Seen barrel's from 30" to 18" kill birds just the same. Length of barrel is a personal preference in my opinion. They all kill the same if you put the pattern on its neck.

mudhen

Nope...longer barrels tend to pattern better...

But I'm sure most shotguns can kill a turkey...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Ozarks Hillbilly

I have hunted with barrel lenghths from 36" to 21" for a dedicated turkey gun barrel length of 23"-24" seems to be the best fit for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Fullfan

I hunted with a 21" barrel for prob 27 years, 11-87 spst. Love that gun, which as been retired because of TSS and the 20ga.
Don't gobble at me...