OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planning/Tips for prospective traveling turkey hunter

Started by wkyhunter, May 30, 2019, 01:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

So with it all winding down for the year my thoughts are already turning to next year.
I'd like to plan some out of state hunts for next year. Besides my home state, Kentucky, I've hunted and had success in Tennessee and Missouri. Those are pretty much day or two trips, but I'm thinking of extending out further.
The species doesn't really concern me, just looking for some different experiences and extending my season. Generally, I prefer more timber hunting vs open fields, but haven't ruled out some time in the plains states.
Don't really want to go the outfitter route. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but just enjoy doing it myself. All my out of state hunts have been on public land and expect to continue that way.
Figure my trips will be alone, involve sleeping in the truck/tent, minimal cooking, etc. 
I'd appreciate any tips, experiences, research methods, etc that you'd be willing to share. And if you have any authors and/or blogs you'd recommend that would be great too.
Certainly not looking for any honey holes, just some different perspectives.
Thanks in advance!

zelmo1

Most Fish and Game Departments give the harvest data per WMA/WMU's and that is where I would start. Find the public land in those areas and do the computer scout thing to narrow it down and then ask about specific areas here. Most people will give general info freely. Just my  :z-twocents:

Hobbes

The best place to start, as stated above, is the game department's website.  They will often have a wild turkey distribution map and info on public land access.  Distribution maps aren't necessarily important in eastern states, but they are something to look for in Western states, including SD, NE, and KS.

Where in Western KY are you located?

wkyhunter

Thanks for the replies!
Hobbes, I live outside of Kuttawa, not too far from Barkley and Kentucky Lakes.
Closest fair size town would be Paducah.
You may have heard of Land Between The Lakes on this and some of the other hunting forums. I'm about 10 Miles from the north entry.

Hobbes

Quote from: wkyhunter on May 30, 2019, 07:39:48 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Hobbes, I live outside of Kuttawa, not too far from Barkley and Kentucky Lakes.
Closest fair size town would be Paducah.
You may have heard of Land Between The Lakes on this and some of the other hunting forums. I'm about 10 Miles from the north entry.

I've heard of it.  :toothy9:

I'm from Southern IL, moved West in 2006 (CO 2006-2011, MT 2011to present)Lived outside of Brookport, IL and worked in Paducah.  Our families are all still back there. 

GobbleNut

My recommendation would be to start by prioritizing your preferences on where you would like to hunt,...and then use the wealth of knowledge that is available right here on OG to point you in the right direction as to specific places to go. You will find no more expertise on hunting just about anywhere in the country than the folks that are right here.

While it is true that nobody is going to discuss this stuff on the open forum, going the PM route will almost certainly be one of your most valuable tools in choosing a place to go.

Ctrize

Traveling try to put the weather in your favor. Especially if you go west for Merriam's.I did not want to miss the opener and went early to SD and  lost several days to deep snow. Also went to Nebraska public and the birds were still in winter flocks on private. If you want a change of scenery try the Black Hills or Pine Ridge and the central to southern Florida areas. Also inquire about any new areas opening or bowhunt only spots if you do so.

Hobbes

If going NE, SD, MT, or CO; consider waiting until May due to reasons listed above.  Pine Ridge and Black Hills had a snow storm in late May this year, but it's a bigger gamble in April.  Kill your KY and TN birds then head west to KS, NE, or SD.  All three of which run until May 31st. 

Dtrkyman

I like to contact a local biologist and ask for some areas with good numbers and recent hatch info.

States with OTC tags and like hunting states with afternoon opportunity! I hunt Missouri and Il. every year and the cut off is 1pm, but there both local for me so not as big a deal.

Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana I would look at.

3bailey3

Yoder409

Pick a state (or more)..........

Check that state's website for public access areas.  Decide on a general area you want to hunt.

These things will be your friends:

That region's state game biologist
That area's game warden
Google Earth/satellite
OnX
DeLorme's Atlas & Gazetteer

Once you get boots on the ground.........

The local restaurant
The rural mailman
The UPS guy

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wkyhunter

Thank all! And keep your thoughts coming....
I think watching you tube videos, especially Dave Owens, has fueled the fever to get in on some out of state hunts.
For those of you who take trips, do you go alone, with one other person or do you hunt in a bigger group?
I agree with Dtrkyman, states with afternoon hunting will probably get more attention from me simply because of opportunity time.
I had already started looking at Wisconsin, trying to get a handle on how much public land is available and where its located in the state.
Daughter is moving to Florida so guess in need to start looking there too.
Do any of you use fall/winter seasons to "scout" out of state for the upcoming spring season?

Roost 1

Hey man I'm just down the road from you in western KY.
I travel a lot to hunt if you ever need info just send a pm.
Good luck.

wkyhunter

Thanks Roost 1 ....
I use to post occasionally on tndeer and have seen you there often. For what ever reason I can't log in there anymore.

Prohunter3509

I go to mo every year with nephews just a tradition
Completed my slam in Nebraska this year
Adding tenn next year and hopefully ala. all public land this next year
Never been to Ala. so it's all a hope and prayer