OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best gobble Call---Haint?

Started by idgobble, May 28, 2019, 01:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

I had posted this question in the "Locator Calls" section but things are pretty quiet down there---- "I have an old Red Wolfe gobble call but have heard good things about the Haint. What's your opinion of it?  Plastic or wood?" Any advice on gobble calls?  I understand the Haint takes a lot of practice but I'm up for it.  Gotta say my experience with gobble calls getting answered is not very good.  I've used two sided boxes with the rubber band for 50 years and the Red Wolfe call or that style for about 15.  I admit I don't sound great on them, even to myself.  I probably get a gobbler to gobble back at me less than 10% of the times I try.

Candyman

I recommend learning how to use a tube call. Great to gobble on.

mikejd

I don't even know if the haint is available anymore. And it's damn near impossible to run. I have one somewhere. My wife hid it years ago because she was sick of me sounding like a goose all over the house. That wolf's is good enough.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Candyman on May 28, 2019, 01:05:25 PM
I recommend learning how to use a tube call. Great to gobble on.
X2

Southerngobbler

A lynch world champion 102 makes an OK gobble. Better than the shake tube.

Bay1985

The "Haint" ain't the best anything imo. For what limited sucesss a gobble call will produce a boxcall or tube would be better.

idgobble

I wonder if anyone makes a box call specifically for gobbling?

Bay1985

Quote from: idgobble on May 28, 2019, 02:03:15 PM
A rubber band works pretty well on most boxes.

Rapscallion Vermilion

John Eddleman's Gator Gobbling Stribling, for one.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Bay1985 on May 28, 2019, 02:08:11 PM
A rubber band works pretty well on most boxes.

^^^
This
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tlh2865

I gobble better on a mouth call than I have heard any other call sound. Just need a deeper pitched call

Ozarks Hillbilly

My dad back in the late 70's had a Roger Latham "true tone" box call the one with the leather strap. It made a pretty decent gobble. It wasn't good for anything else as I recall but he could get bird's to at least shock gobble back at it. I see them on flebay, I guess I should pick one up just to put on the shelf as a another reminder of time spent with him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

A double sided box cant be beat.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on May 28, 2019, 06:48:01 PM
My dad back in the late 70's had a Roger Latham "true tone" box call the one with the leather strap. It made a pretty decent gobble. It wasn't good for anything else as I recall but he could get bird's to at least shock gobble back at it. I see them on flebay, I guess I should pick one up just to put on the shelf as a another reminder of time spent with him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I had one of these and actually killed a handful of birds with just yelping and clucking on it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tomstopper

Double sided long box works pretty well

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk