OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded Hen

Started by Seahunt, May 14, 2019, 04:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahunt

What are your thoughts on shooting a bearded hen? Do you think she is breeding??  Will this affect the population if she has eggs?

johnski

I have always passed on them and would have no reason to think they don't breed so yes i think it could affect the population

LaLongbeard

Bearded hens breed ,nest and hatch eggs. Killing one will reduce your population by one breeding hen and however many poults would have hatched this year plus whatever her remaining life span, and whatever amount her poults would eventually add. I see no reason to shoot a 10 pound hen bearded or not. Plus you won't look as cool on Facebook with a dead hen lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

I'd pass also. A hen is a hen

hush

Had an experience with one this year. Had a single hen decoy out before sunrise. She was roosted about 75 yards in the wood line. Just beyond her, and approx 50 yards to the right from her, was a gobbler. He gobbled from the roost at a few tree yelps and purrs. She made a sound that was unique but distinctly turkey every time he gobbled. She flew down right to my decoy and strutted around, tail fanned, pushing it around. The gobbler flew down and headed my way. When he was about 50 yds out, two jakes cut him off and ran him off. They started in to the decoy and he-hen. She aggressively went towards them purring and making that strange sound. They ran away like she had kicked their butts before. She circled back towards the gobbler who was now far away, but gobbling occasionally. He went silent and disappeared. Half hour later she came back to peck my decoy.

zelmo1

Touchy subject, lol. I pass on them also, but my soapbox isn't that tall. Your tags, your choice. Legal birds are legal birds.  :z-twocents:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on May 14, 2019, 04:34:48 PM
Bearded hens breed ,nest and hatch eggs. Killing one will reduce your population by one breeding hen and however many poults would have hatched this year plus whatever her remaining life span, and whatever amount her poults would eventually add. I see no reason to shoot a 10 pound hen bearded or not. Plus you won't look as cool on Facebook with a dead hen lol
Completely agree with this statement.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeyman

A buddy texted me about a week ago regarding a bearded hen he killed. I didn't jump on him about it but, personally, I'd never do it. He said he didn't know it was a hen...just focused on the beard...whatever. Anyhow, I asked him to check for eggs upon dressing. He said one was ready to be laid, five more in the oviduct pretty much ready and then others being developed. He said twenty eggs total.

Bearded hens being legal in the spring was primarily put into place such that if a guy accidentally killed one, he wasn't going to be a criminal. NOT to advocate doing so.

kyturkeyhunter4

I would pass but I know ever one has different opinions about it just do what ever makes you happy it's your tag.

Spitten and drummen

Hen is a hen and a jake is a jake. I shoot neither.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Mossyguy

Nope...I'm a spur man and hens don't have 'em...

bbcoach

I've had a chance to harvest several bearded hens but pass every time. 

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: LaLongbeard on May 14, 2019, 04:34:48 PM
X2

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Happy

Personally I will never shoot a hen, bearded or not.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tommy Strutsalot

Last weekend I had a bearded hen with about a 6" beard hang around for over an hour. Never once did I consider shooting her, but what I thought was cool was that she became very aggressive with my avian x breeder hen. She spent much time strutting and slowly circling the decoy with her head real low to the ground.  She was purring the whole time.  I've seen this on videos but it was the first time I have observed that behavior from a hen in reality.