turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sick day gobbler

Started by derek, May 03, 2011, 01:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

Was feeling a bit, "under the weather" last night and called out, conveniently enough I was feeling better by the time my alarm went off to hit the turkey woods.   ;)

Went looking for some multibearded brothers, ended up getting on a big flock of about 10 birds, mixed, longbeards, jakes and hens.  Watched 2 hens get bred.  Had them gobbling a bit, but they weren't budging from strutting out in the middle of a private field.  After 8, they started to move off away from me, heading back onto public land.  I circle around in front of them and get in a hedgerow.  There's no where to sit to them, so I lay on my belly.  The grass field is over knee high already and at one point early I see a red head out a ways.  Little while later I hear some wing beats and 2 gobbler clucks as a couple birds get a little feisty with eachother.  All goes quiet for a while and I'm getting ansy, I try to ease up just so I can see when a tom lifts his head with me in gun range.  I ease back down and get the gun where he was and he's gone.  I cluck, nothing.. cutt and another bird lifts his head a little closer to me.  Looks like a good bird and I take the shot.  Birds start flying everywhere, I had turkeys that had already made it past me I didn't even know about.  31 yard shot, 18lbs 5oz, 10 1/8" beard, 1" sharp and curved spurs. 

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Duke0002

Very nice bird!  Congrats, Derek.   

MDbowman

You are living proof that turkey hunting skills are not genetic!! Congrats again son!!

whitelightning

Congrats again man!  Looks like you beat me to a bird and to posting up a kill thread lol