OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The final chapter

Started by Woodsman4God, May 03, 2011, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman4God

Hi guys

Here's the final chapter in turkey hunt 2011.

I was sitting at the park watching my kids play whiel talking with my wife, I mentioned to her that if the water was working right my dads cabin I would take a few more days off and take the family up there and we could have fun and I could get one or two more shots at a turkey, she looks at me and says well why dont you take those days, get the water fixed and get your turkey, that way next time we want to go up the family  can come. I agree to help get the kids in bed then take the 3 hour trip up north, my wife said she could feel the excitement coming out of me.

I finally get all squared away at 130am and fall asleep , 500am came way too early but I am up with coffee and ready to roll a bird, I step out on the porch and let loose with a harrison hootin stick and I get 1 gobble kind of far away, this being the bird I tried calling in earlier in the week but couldn't, I relocated and got a decoy from Reds place and being free to get closer since I did not have my son with me this time I setup in a T intersection of a power line knowing he was either here or might be heading here. I let out a few yelps and nothing, wait 5 minutes and use a louder slate and let out a few more yelps and almost immediately I hear a few hens nearby, about 1 minute later coming down a hill I see a hen running towards my deke, followed by two more and not far behind a Tom half struttin half running trying to keep up with the girls, The first hen reaches the deke and immediately turns off into the woods, the second two arrive a few seconds later and stop next to the deke and stare my way, the Tom falls in behind the 2 hens and begins to strut, Meanwhile I try as hard as I can to sink as far as I can into the tree and ground, The next part happened almsot like a script, I figured the other 2 hens would follow the first and take the Tom with them so once they started to move I raised my gun the Tom broke strut to follow and I had a clear shot and this time as I said before the Gun was loaded baby, This was my 2nd turkey ever and my First Tom.

Praise God for a wonderful morning and a wonderful wife.
Just a side note, Redarrow and I nailed our birds within 5 minutes of each other and 200 miles apart both right around 630 am

BOFF

Congrats Leo on your first gobbler!!!

Way to go!!!!

Tell your wife we said "Thanks"

Did the water get fixed yet?

God Bless,
David B.

Woodsman4God

The water is 95% fixed just a few loose ends but nothing that is keeping the water from being useful anymore,

anthonyjhallen

Congrats.  It sounds like it was a good hunt.