OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Intro post  (Read 2234 times)

Offline JeepKuntry

Intro post
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
Deer hunted for 20 years. Started turkey hunting 3 years ago. Got my first turkey on a draw hunt at Oak Ridge. When we got to our spot, the owl call had a tom that was fired up. We sat down, and the tom and jake began to work up the ridge. Instead of coming up from below, they went up and circled down. I had a jake at 10 yards, and the tom was struttin in some thick stuff. The jake started to get worried and work away from me. I actually pulled a shot and missed.

About 2 hours later I spot a lone turkey on the logging road. After making few yelps on the slate, he began to strut. It felt like an hour that he strutted back n forth. Just as I began to question whether he would come to us, he started our way. I shot him at 45 yards as he began to work away from us. 22lbs. 10" beard, 3/4" spurs. The only thing I can think of is he couldn't find the hen and began to skirt around.

Offline mmorgan9812

Re: Intro post
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
Awesome! Congrats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
 :welcomeOG:Congrats

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
Welcome to OG and congrats. It could have been any reason that he began to turn and walk away. Remember, we are trying to reverse nature. The hens want to breed and he struts and gobbles to let her know that he is there. She is supposed to go to him.

Ex: I firmly believe that sometimes decoys don't help us sometimes for this reason. Watch a mature Tom strut in fields and a lot of the time, he doesn't like to budge to come to a lone hen decoy and especially if he has other hens with him. Have had them skirt decoys just out of range many times. Just my opinion and one of the many different reasons why he turned to walk out of range.

Again, good job on the bird and welcome to OG.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk