turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heard a new sound tonight

Started by WNCTracker, May 07, 2019, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Was hunting tonight on private land and after calling a few rounds I heard some really odd yelping behind me, almost like a hoarse turkey mixed with a squeaky spring.....it responded to my calling but not every time.   This went on probably off and on about 40 mins when a coyote appeared in front of me, looked around and went back where he came from. Did I hear a poult?  Was it the coyote?  I never heard it again after seeing the coyote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

I'd guess you had a hen yelping back and the coyote snuck in and spooked the hen so you never heard it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Juice

Quote from: catman529 on May 08, 2019, 03:10:30 AM
I'd guess you had a hen yelping back and the coyote snuck in and spooked the hen so you never heard it again

X2

WNCTracker

Must have been yelping in French, I've never heard anything like it.

dublelung

Quote from: WNCTracker on May 08, 2019, 06:59:30 AM
Must have been yelping in French, I've never heard anything like it.

I've heard a few turkeys with distinguishable yelps and gobbles. We had a gobbler on family land about 7-8 years ago that could only get out half a gobble. We heard him all of one season and most of the next. Got a bearded hen behind my house you can tell apart from any other hen back there. I'd say you've just got a unique sounding hen and it's the first time you've heard her. 
Then again, she could just be yelping in French like you said.

Happy

I dealt with a mixed flick years ago that had Jake in the bunch. I had the whole flick worked up and every once in a while he would make the most gosh-awful sound. Sounded like a cross between an injured cat and a peacock. I actually watched him do it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chcltlabz

I had a super raspy hen answer me one morning with the same 3-4 note raspy yelp every time I called.  Thinking she may be towing a gobbler or even a gobbler yelping, I sat down and let her come in.

If I didn't see it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it, but it was a red fox barking.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: catman529 on May 08, 2019, 03:10:30 AM

Some of the worst turkey sounds I have ever heard came from real turkeys.

eggshell

It was a Jake .....I'd bet all happy's money on it.

WNCTracker

Quote from: eggshell on May 08, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
I had that thought but it was so slow in cadence. You're probably right.

Happy

Quote from: eggshell on May 08, 2019, 11:55:41 AM
Easy now. I am saving up to buy one of those Dixon vests. Only $1350 to go...

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WAGinVA

My rule is if you hear a weird noise you cannot identify assume it is a turkey.

JoeA

A long while ago, I heard what I thought was a chonic smoker trying to yelp with a diaphragm call. It was raspy with a phlegm-y rattle sound. It was the worse sounding turkey-ish noise/call I've heard.

The calls were coming from the direction of an area some guys park their trucks. I waited to see who the hunter was. 5-6mins later, with the calls getting closer, a hen walked into view at 30-35yds. I saw her make the sound. The way she moved her head and neck looked like she had some injury that healed, but messed up her throat.
NWTF, SCI, DU and Half Tone Game Calls