OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SC Spring 2019 Recap  (Read 1687 times)

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
SC Spring 2019 Recap
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:10:32 PM »
NO birds down for me this year.

Missed one and I completely know it is my fault.  DO NOT TAKE A BRAND NEW GUN HUNTING W/O AT A MINIMUM SHOOTING IT.  I had a public land gobbler chasing 4 hens past me at 20 yards.  As he topped the hill, I put the bead on his bubbles and pulled the trigger... but didn't hear any flopping.  I stayed down on the gun and realized the issue.  I had cheeked over the gun and tilted it and shot 10 feet to the right.  After searching for any sign of blood or feathers for 20 minutes, I found the wadding that confirmed my suspicions.  The gun didn't have a rear site, so when I put the bead on his neck, it was on his neck but pointed the wrong direction.  Complete and utter rookie mistake.  That was the last time I heard a solid distinct loud gobble on that section of the Public Land.

I ran and gunned most of the season on other sections of Public Land but just never heard any loud strong gobbles at all; I never managed to get in the bubble.

I can tell you this.  This was my first year hunting Public Land.  Hunting Public Land makes you not only a better hunter but a better woodsman. I'm hooked on public land.  Some of the best spots I found all season I feel safe to say hold turkeys earlier in the season and I didn't know about them until later in the season.  Next season will be a different story.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge