Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Does One Define a " Successful " Season?

Started by Turkeytider, May 06, 2019, 06:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Do you have to shoot a limit? I have a hunch it means different things to different people. Our limit here in Georgia is 3 birds. I was privileged to harvest one and he put on a show I`ll never forget. I spent time with a good friend from high school with whom I hunted and fished, and now 40+  years later, hunt with again. I enjoyed the beautiful woods and God`s creation for another year. For me, it was a successful season.

Ctrize

Sometimes its a good battle with a bird whether you shouder him or not.Ive had a few where all I walked away with after a week is the effort I gave and was very satisfied.On the days I dont put a tag on one if I learn something it is a good day.Today in Michigan was a satisfying day!

guesswho

Smiles and laughter.  The more if each the more successful the season.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dirt road ninja

I got to go a fair amount, heard gobbling birds, killed a few in the company of good folks, killed a few by myself. Enjoyed every minute and counting down the days till next March.

nitro

Being able to enjoy a few days afield away from reality.

Killing a Gobbler is always a bonus. The fun meter gets moved a little more or less from year to year depending on the number of days I get to go. Traveling to other states is always a focus for me and I was lucky enough to share a new place with two different sho nuf killers this year. I hope they had as much fun as me.

2020 is going to mean many more days open to go greet the dawn. I will be an empty nester. :z-guntootsmiley:

My 41st season was about average as to number of scalps, but above average on the fun meter.

Royal Slam 2008

Rzrbac

The number of birds I get to engage with is how I rate my season. First time in a long time I didn't kill one bird. I still consider it a great season though. I called in two birds with a trumpet which was a first for me. Getting into trumpets made this year a good season for me. If I would have not been committed to the trumpet perhaps the kills would have been different, heck that's just some for next year!

tomstopper

Just being able to go out in the woods and here it come to life. Hearing them gobble and seeing them strut is a successful day for me. Killing them is a bonus. I will have to say this year was the best season I ever had because my daughter went with me. That alone was enough but it was super cool because she also tagged a nice gobbler.

Happy

To me it's all about the fun. If I hear some gobbles and get some excitement I am good. The more chances I get to go the better. I just like listening to and working birds. I have as much fun when someone else is on the gun. If I get some excitement and some laughs it's a good year. Really enjoy hunting with my oldest boy. He is starting to catch on to this Turkey business pretty good.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

I enjoy my Spring early archery hunt in NE and KS with my buddy on public land. I shoot any legal bird and we always have a great time. Any other Spring hunt is hard for me to even want to go. After we get back from our hunt I look forward to Fall turkey hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

larry9988

I have killed a couple of turkeys this year. I called up several more for others. Called up a friend of mines first gobbler. I hunted with my son some too. All of that is good, some real good, but I think what makes a successful season for me is just still being healthy enough to go. I am 55 now and have lost several friends my own age or even younger. I have a friend that's two years younger than me, that's been in a nursing home for five years because of a stroke. He wishes he could just get out of bed so I don't complain a lot if I don't kill a turkey. I am just so thankful I can still go. That's success enough for me.
Another lesson I learned just the other day: I work on farms scouting for insect pests and pulling soil samples from a four wheeler. Last week I was pulling samples in a field that was so rough I could hardly stay on the four wheeler. I was having to go so much slower than usual that I was just a fussing to my self. I topped a hill when I finally got to the other side, where I saw a lady, sitting in a wheel chair using a garden hoe, with one arm, that was trying to weed her flower bed. I stopped feeling sorry for myself very quickly, and was ashamed of my pitty party I was having. If you're still healthy enough to work and play and enjoy yourself, be thankful.

Rzrbac

Quote from: larry9988 on May 06, 2019, 09:13:59 PM
I have killed a couple of turkeys this year. I called up several more for others. Called up a friend of mines first gobbler. I hunted with my son some too. All of that is good, some real good, but I think what makes a successful season for me is just still being healthy enough to go. I am 55 now and have lost several friends my own age or even younger. I have a friend that's two years younger than me, that's been in a nursing home for five years because of a stroke. He wishes he could just get out of bed so I don't complain a lot if I don't kill a turkey. I am just so thankful I can still go. That's success enough for me.
Another lesson I learned just the other day: I work on farms scouting for insect pests and pulling soil samples from a four wheeler. Last week I was pulling samples in a field that was so rough I could hardly stay on the four wheeler. I was having to go so much slower than usual that I was just a fussing to my self. I topped a hill when I finally got to the other side, where I saw a lady, sitting in a wheel chair using a garden hoe, with one arm, that was trying to weed her flower bed. I stopped feeling sorry for myself very quickly, and was ashamed of my pitty party I was having. If you're still healthy enough to work and play and enjoy yourself, be thankful.

That's the perspective we should all use.  Thankful I get to go no matter the hunting.  Thanks, I needed to read that.

Sir-diealot

I always loved being outside weather it be turkey hunting, deer hunting, playing paintball with friends or walking or riding my bike.

After my car accident in 2001 I lost all of that and after 17 years God gave it back to me, I enjoy every minute I am out there, I enjoy the sun coming up and how God uses his paintbrush each morning, hearing the birds in the early morning light, seeing squirrels and chipmunks frolicking in the trees and on the forest floor, I enjoy seeing deer that are just getting their antlers in the woods and in the fields moving silently about. I enjoy the time out there with friends and making new friends. I enjoy the walking that I could not do much of but can now do more of. I like driving there in the early morning when the air is crisp and fresh smelling in the nostrils and the smell of the foliage as it starts to green up and the smell of the soil both fresh and after it has been trodden on.

All in all I think any hunt that can end without serious injury to self or others to be a successful season. I still have never gotten one but I pray one day God will gift me one
and truly look forward to it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Admittedly, to some degree, success...  Were I to hunt all season without a bird, I would not consider that a good season.

Taking my kids out has proven extremely rewarding...  It was a bit thrilling to kill a bird last season with each of my kids, and this season with my daughter and her friend watching.  While at the same time, after dealing with all of the frustration of taking children along, I now really appreciate the times I get to go by myself.

I enjoy finally beating "that bird."  That one bird that eludes me all season, and finally makes a mistake (and I don't).  I enjoy reveling in the moment of any hard-earned bird...

If I killed a bird every time, I would undoubtedly lose interest...  On the same note, if I never killed a bird, I would also undoubtedly lose interest.  Without some degree of failure, that success would not be nearly as exciting or fulfilling.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

Did you enjoy your time hunting? Share it with a friend? Mentor another hunter?

This is all personal to each of us as to what success is and it changes over time.

We all at some degree measure a kill as success, and also the ones you didn't kill that you challenged and they beat you!

While I was guiding, there was a lot of success measure by your percentage of kills made, unfortunate but it happens when you guide... during that time I could have given you all kinds of data, statistics and "numbers" of successes, it plays a part in that business

I have a lot of ways I think of what success is and is dependent of that hunt.

I can sure say if you lose the passion for it just becomes "killing/shooting" and not "hunting" you need to be the judge of that.

Here's to the Hunt!

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

I always have fun but need tags filled to claim success.