Cluck more, yelp less

Dr Juice

I saw that - congrats brother!

WildSpur

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

WildSpur

So the day began with a very dense fog that turned into a light rain.  I did hear 2 at fly down time however they were nowhere near me. 

I began to run and gun and stumbled upon this old antler.   Already porus/decomposing. 

Got back to where I started at around 0740 and heard a distant bird.  I closed the distance to about 100-150 yards.  He would only gobble when I called.  I figured he was with a hen and when he stopped answering my calls I left. 

So I decided to go to a new-to-me place which I one ridge over from a place I commonly hunt.  I usually hear birds late morning on this ridge I was trying to get to. 

Well--I get about a half mile in and I hear a bird gobbling on his own.  From when I first heard him around 1000 to when I set up, he gobbled probably 20x.

Once set up, I gave some clicks and he doubled gobbled from less that 150 yards away.  Now this area was timbered last year and over the hill from where I was they were actively timbering.  The bird would go nuts as the trees echoed as the fell!  No joke--this bird gobbled atleast 1x a minute for almost the next 2 hours.   I was actually worried about another hunter coming in to this.   

Realizing that time was of escense...I had to be done at noon...I pulled out my phone and saw it was 1149!  Now this bird was easily within 40 yards of me for quite some time.  I could hear him spitting and drumming as he gobbled his head off.  I just could not see him.  Now it is do or die--so I gave a few soft cluck and he went nuts! 

Well as luck would have it, he kept getting closer and then I saw a white and blue head bob through the underbrush.  Within seconds he cleared a tree I needed him to and I could then tell he was a long beard.  I then let him have it! 

I looked down at my phone and it was 1157!!

A true personal best for me...not size-wise...but how much he gobbled and how long we were together.  I was really starting to get sore because I was not comfortable!!

19.02#, 10" beard, and 7/8" spurs. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Twowithone

Congrats Buddy.Good gobbler.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Thebody

Awesome story.  Congrats

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Mountainburd

Awesome work Adam.  I knew it was only a matter of time. 

suburbhunter

Congratulations!!! A great bird and a great story too.  :policeman:
:dancingturkey: :dancingturkey: :dancingturkey:

Will

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a heck of a hunt!! Those almost out of time hunts get you flustered!!  :icon_thumright: