North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not much hurts worse.....

Started by Gobble!, May 06, 2019, 08:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Than missing one on public.

Bird came in fast and I couldn't beat him to the top of the ridge. Got close sat up he popped up at 25 saw something he didn't like and turned to leave. I swung on him and shot. Not really sure what went wrong.

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Happy

That sucks. But I have been there and done that. It happens.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Upfold99

Quote from: Gobble! on May 06, 2019, 08:24:04 AM

Bird came in fast and I couldn't beat him to the top of the ridge. Got close sat up he popped up at 25 saw something he didn't like and turned to leave. I swung on him and shot. Not really sure what went wrong.
Just returned from an 18 hr drive to which I hunted 6 days on public and heard 2 gobblers for a total of 5 times. Missed the only long beard I put eyes on in 6 days, at 40 yds in the broad open.

It for sure sucks..

Gobble!

Quote from: Upfold99 on May 06, 2019, 12:17:28 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on May 06, 2019, 08:24:04 AM

Just returned from an 18 hr drive to which I hunted 6 days on public and heard 2 gobblers for a total of 5 times. Missed the only long beard I put eyes on in 6 days, at 40 yds in the broad open.

It for sure sucks..

Ouch

tha bugman

I know the feeling, but turning one into coyote scat is far worse.  He lives again to play the game another day, and in the words of Mr. Fox Haas..."You will get over it in about 10-20 years." :'(

Happy

Slide on over and make room for me at the table. Missed a dandy at 30 yards this morning. He lowered his head to feed as I was pulling the trigger. His body was behind a rock so fairly certain he was unscathed. He sure left like he was. All things considered it was still fun and there are worse things in life to have to deal with so I will just try and vindicate myself tomorrow. Probably try a different bird as he was a pretty tough nut to crack and only gobbled 3 times in 2 hours. Came the last 150 yards silent. All I did was leaf scratching as he came the last 50 yards and that took a half hour. It stings a bit but glad he isn't wounded.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

spurman

I bet he is a good one, being that slow and quite coming in.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE