Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What has "ruined" that bird from coming in?

Started by Marc, May 03, 2019, 01:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Some years things line up, and some years they do not...  More often than not, I have gotten in my own way, but have had some bad luck outside of my control as well (as I am sure all of you have).

I have had a bird I working on all season come in with cattle and could not shoot; 25 minutes of watching that bird strut and gobble right in front of me with cattle preventing a safe shot.   Same bird next day came in a gully (15 yards below me) and a coyote ran out of nowhere and chased him off; I should have stood up and shot them both.

I have had cattle run me off...  Trying to call in a bird and an aggressive cow with a calve walked up to me and started stomping and pawing close enough (as in just about to step on me) that I had to stand up and spook the bird.

I once had horses come and run off a bird that was coming right at me.  Bird cut through a small property, and was headed my direction, when horses ran over to see what was up...

I have had bobcats, foxes, and coyotes stalking my calling and chase off birds...  I have seen both bobcats and coyotes chase birds I was hunting.

I once had a bird coming around the edge of a pond, headed right towards me, when he was assaulted by a pair of Canada geese (that was a helluva thing to see).

I was working a bird on a cattle ranch.  He was with a hen that was coming to me (to show dominance I assume), and the hen was leading and about 20 yards away (just the other side of the road).  I was sitting on the edge of the small dirt road, and that tom was just out of range...   Here comes the rancher in his little truck.  Even though I was right off the road, I knew he would not see me, and I also knew if he drove past (without stopping or slowing) the birds would likely not get spooked.

Well, he stopped 2 feet away from me, and I figured he saw me and wanted to talk.  He got out of his truck (I was near the passenger side) and when he came around, I stood up, and he just about had a heart attack.  He had no idea I was there, had not seen me or the turkeys, and was stopping for some random reason.

I also know why decoys come in solid bags...  While walking back to my truck going up a steep canyon logging road,  I got a gobble right in front of me.  I dropped my decoy (in a mesh bag) and crouched at the bend of the road.  Bird went above me and around (I have no idea why he did that), and could not have been more than 20 yards away just around the bend, when he happened on my decoy (in the mesh bag)...  He saw that decoy, putted, and flew off.

What are some of your stories???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

Jakes came in on a KS archery hunt. I shot 'em. The End

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

zelmo1

LOL, all the above. The only thing I can add is that I had a goat run into a gobbling tom about 30 yards from my decoy once. I guess goats don't like gobbling. Oh well  :turkey2:

Gooserbat

Had a bird gobble like 100 yards away.  Fit tree I saw happened to be really close to a fire ant den.  For a few moments, I forgot about that turkey.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

At one time or another, I have had most of the stuff you mention happen, Marc.  The cattle, horse, and coyote interference especially had me nodding my head.  There are certain things that happen that make you say,..."The turkey gods just did not want me to kill that gobbler".  Some of your incidents certainly fit that bill.

Here's one for you that just happened last month.  A friend of mine was working a bird with his brother.  They had closed the distance and had the gobbler coming steadily to them.  The tom was almost in shooting range when a 40' pine tree between them and the gobbler decided to fall down right between them.

Now, when that sh*t happens, a guy knows he wasn't supposed to kill that bird!   :o :newmascot: :o 

yelpy

Someone shot him out of the tree 100 yrds from where I was set up. Gotta love a good sportsman.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

tal

Happy

I have had several picked off with rifles on their way in.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

yelpy

Quote from: tal on May 03, 2019, 08:54:20 AM
Deer snorting.
I never have had a deer snort chance a turkey that was fired up but I have had a few bears chase them.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 03, 2019, 08:03:25 AM
Had a bird gobble like 100 yards away.  Fit tree I saw happened to be really close to a fire ant den.  For a few moments, I forgot about that turkey.
Ants...  Hate em'...

We do not have fire ants, but we do have some big aggressive red ants... 

Was hunting with a buddy back in the day (who is now a more avid turkey hunter than I am) who had yet to kill a bird...   Bird was coming right towards us, when he starts flailing and making some awful sounds...

Turns out he was getting bit the whole time and was trying to suffer through the pain, until one bit him on the eyelid...  Apparently the eyelid was his breaking point (he was covered in ant bites).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Muzzy61

A greasy breakfast sandwich as "ruined" one for me a time or two.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Mine would have to be when I got stung on the back of the neck by a white faced hornet while hunting in NY. Fortunately I was only about 200 yards away from my truck. Used my epi pen and drove about 8 mins to our local ER. I don't do well with anything with venom and always carry an epi pen in my vest (first thing in my vest and then TP, then everything else)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

JMalin

eggshell

wow I have never had any of that stuff happen to me, you guys must be jinxed or something  :TooFunny: :funnyturkey: every turkey I never got was simply because I was feeling gracious and let him have a reprieve that day........

Now about this land in New Mexico I have for sale, nice ocean front cottage and cool breezes with great surfing. Cheap and immediate possession just send cash. The only thing is there this old codger that lives there you'll have to evict .....gooblenut or something like that

Plush

Opening day I had a bird cruising down the logging trail 15 minutes in, PERFECT SITUATION! Then it turns around and left. Then a coyote jogged by. I just wanted to take my gun throw it as far as I could and leave.

Hens are just killing me this year. Roost right next to the gobblers and fly down to them, even if 150 yards across a river! They torpedo like fighter jets! I can't beat them!! I am so close to waiting for them to roost and go busting through the woods the break them up for the night. When fall season rolls around I might take my anger out on one.