OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: hiding blinds  (Read 8032 times)

Offline frydarinj

hiding blinds
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
so i know with deer hunting you have to brush your blind in really well or it will spook them but do you do the same for turkeys? mine is sitting on a field edge and they seem reluctant to get to close to it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: hiding blinds
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
From my experience you do not need to anything with them, we have them right in the middle of a field and birds come right to the decoys. Guess biggest thing I would say is you need to have the blind completely blacked out behind you and to watch you don't cross open windows to a birds angle of view to them.

MK M GOBL

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
Where I hunt on heavily pressured public lands the turkeys seam to avoid my pop up bling like the plague. I don't know if its just a coincidence or what but after 3 or 4 years of using the blind I have total given up on it, unless I have time to really brush it in good-their not coming. I have much more success calling them in w/out the blind. Sometimes I think maybe something is wrong with my blind like maybe it has UV brighteners in it or something. I know on TV they act like there invisible.

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »
I think pressured birds will stay away from it.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
I think pressured birds will stay away from it.

I think that birds that have not seen a blind might just walk inside the blind with you...  Birds that have been hunted from a blind would likely be more apprehensive about a big camouflage box that is out of place.

One thing I know is that covering and hiding the blind as good as possible won't hurt anything...  In many cases it probably is not necessary, but it will not hurt...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:46:04 PM »
Have had them come right up to the blind. First time had 3 toms come out 2 of the 3 touched the blind and third scrapped up against the backpack I had leaning against a tree a foot or two behind me. Wednesday I have a young hen come walking right on by content as she could be. Walked by did a real quiet short purr and went to the field behind me. Oh have had another hen come within 20 yards to another one a few years ago. None have ever been brushed in.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline mmorgan9812

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
Never brushed one in around here in Western North Carolina. You can even pop them up while hunting and 5 min later I have had turkeys walk right up next to them none the wiser. I do understand and believe that they might steer clear if they have been pressured badly but I have never seen it myself.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
I hunt public and it's a must to brush them in on all but one place in three different states.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 09:24:57 PM »
I use them when I'm hunting with my Son and have never brushed one and also set them in the middle of fields sometimes. I usually make sure the back is pulled all the way up so it's blacked out. I also leave the sides partly up. The rest of the blind(all of the front and part of the sides )the mesh is left up.

Offline JoeSam1975

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 02:57:30 PM »
I am in eastern NC and I have never brushed in a blind deer or turkey hunting.  The kind I use is blacked out on the back and I have had deer and turkeys walk 5 feet from the blind.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
Michigan on both public and private birds have changed reacting to blinds both hens and toms skirt us. It is hard to tell whether it's the blind or lack of movement by decoys. We do not cover the blind but might start. We still get birds coming in just more that hold back.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
You don’t need to brush in a blind for turkey imo. Birds on both public and private will walk right up to you. Are you sure they aren’t seeing you moving in the blind?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »
I know it can be done in a blind wearing anything but I just don't understand people that buy a blind with a blackened interior and then wear clothes that make them more likely to be seen inside ie. camo. I would and do wear all black from my waist up.

Maybe overkill but I have walked up to people wearing camo in a blind and have seen them it them and talked them into trying all black and walked up on them and could not see them in a blind except for the Carhartt tag on the black jacket they were wearing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
No problem with turkeys and blinds , i just try and put them were the turkeys want to be in the fields etc , always in the shade as much as possible , those blinds can heat up during the day ....battery fan comes in pretty handy on some days ....

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Dont brush my blind in and have no problems with turkeys or deer.  :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.