OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clean spurs

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, February 12, 2011, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

Just how I do it.  When finished these will be the cleanest best looking spurs you can get.

I hope to get a tutorial on the spurs done soon.  My kind of soon, so if your pushing 60 you may not get a chance to see it

1. Cut the bone 1" above and below spur.
(use a hacksaw mounted in vice. Hold bone and cut.  It makes a nice cut.  Do not use a power miter if you like fingers.  Do not use a cut off on a dremel unless you like raw turkey)
2. Skin and scrap bone to rid as muck "stuff"
3. Push out marrow with wire (I know compressed air works faster but it does not taste to good)
4. Boil in h2o and dawn.  10 min check the spur.  Pull from water and play hot potato while you squeeze the base together.  Press firmly it should pop off.  If not boil longer.
5. After spur cap pops set cap aside to dry.
6. Continue boiling the bone and clean all gunk from spur stud and leg bone.
7. Toss in ammonia or mineral spirits to degrease. I do 1 week min.  While this degreasing I sand the base of the spur to clean it up a little.  Take 1000grit paper to smooth the spur if needed and I use oil finish, a Thin coat, let sit a couple min. and wipe off.  It adds just enough sheen to mimic natural oils.
8. rinse off degreaser and soak spur bone 12hrs in 40volume peroxide(found at Sals beauty)
9. Rinse peroxide and set in sun for a day.
10. set caps on spur stud.  They only go on 1 way and I have never had 1 fit another spur bone. They seem unique to every bird.
11.  mark the backside of the spur stud at edge of cap. with pencil.
12.  paint the spur stud a reddish brown just shy of the pencil mark.(you are recreating the blood and tissue you cooked away)Also careful when painting.  Capillary action tries to wick some paint up the spur bone.  Always practice on the back side and test by slowly painting to the bone.
13. after paint is dry a dab of glue on the back side of spur stud and reattach the cap.

Walla!!  Now you have a really nice CLEAN spur.

timbrhuntr

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

BHMTitan

Sounds nice.  Can you post some pictures of the final results?

VanHelden Game Calls

All I have right now.

Muskie03

Those are some nice looking spurs :icon_thumright:
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

bowhunter84